Second Skin Audio

Looking for my next subs.

Scotnemily

I did confirm  with a calibrated fluke I am seeing 1 ohm currently on the box. I checked my DMM and with the leads touching today it is 1.5 ohms. and on the box it is 2.5 ohms. I purchased a new DMM :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

I did confirm  with a calibrated fluke I am seeing 1 ohm currently on the box. I checked my DMM and with the leads touching today it is 1.5 ohms. and on the box it is 2.5 ohms. I purchased a new DMM :)

So why is one sub moving more than the other than? Did u reverse polarity on one sub on accident?

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

38 minutes ago, ehall8702 said:

So why is one sub moving more than the other than? Did u reverse polarity on one sub on accident?

No, I think one just got disconnected. it is a tight fit to get the terminals and wires through the hole. the one that doesn't appear to be working did snag but then went in. i didn't think much about it at the time. but that combined with what I am seeing make me think it is not connected anymore. Before I pull it back out I am going to try to play something a really low volume and see if I can tell for sure that it is not working.

Ok radio volume on 1 can just feel light vibration on the one sub that I was sure was working. Nothing on the one I thought was not working. Just wanted to make sure before I pulled it all back out. 

on a side note I am very impressed with the subs now. The 1 12” running at 1 ohm sounds almost exactly like the pair did running at 2 ohms. Almost the same out put and everything. Can’t wait to hear both now.

Thought u had dual 4 ohm for some reason, now it all makes sense, get it wired up and get a video lol...I wanna see thos things get it.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Yeah probably my fault. I started the thread looking for new subs, or buying another dual 4 ohm since I have one new in box. I took the advice given and wired mine at .5 ohms instead of buying something new. The thread has kind of jumped around a lot. Sorry :)

:)  Ok I think for the time being I am done looking for new subs....

I got to work an hour early today so I could take an extra hour lunch break. I pulled everything back out and took the one sub back out of the box. sure enough the wire had come disconnected when I put it back in the box. I fixed the issue.

nPWMFRf.jpg

Now to verify the reading of the box. New meter reads 0 when touching the leads. each sub coil was right at 2 ohms. both hooked in parallel was .5 ohms.

Okojy37.jpg

everything is back in the trunk and hooked up. I moved the box back closer to the rear by 2 inches to allow more air and pressure to enter the cabin. I removed the stock subwoofer box and now a lot more sound vents into the car. I had to change my PPI amp. it now is at and angle instead of laying flat. I will have to fix some better brackets and still have to make it look pretty. A bonus I added the left side cover back in and it cleans up the trunk appearance a lot. I just need to do something with the power and ground wires. When the weather gets nicer I will make a false floor to cover all of that up. I also plan on making a false wall to cover the back of the box and extend out to the edges of the trunk. 

RrD4e8s.jpg

As for my electrical it stays right at 14 volts with the radio on or off. So I am good there. Sound wise :) well lets just say I think I am happy for a while. Also no need to worry about clipping. I have to keep the remote gain turned way down so the subs don't overpower the mids and highs. You can really feel the difference in the bass now not only hear it. I am impressed with the subs and the Synergy Amp I would recommend both to anyone that is looking for subs or amps. I will try to get a video of the subs playing on more power later tonight. Thanks again for the help. I hope this has been an enjoyable thread to read.  

Sorry for not getting this posted last night. I forgot to bring another phone with me when I went to my 2nd job. I need to phone to record video. My iphone plays the music through carplay, and then i need another for the camera. I use one of my older iphones for that. anyway here are 2 videos. Sorry again the quality sucks. all I had time for at the moment. Also not much room or lighting to stick the phone through the ski pass through into the trunk and see what I am doing. I played the same song as before for one of the videos, for a comparison. it might not look like they are moving much, but the pressure is distorting the video and makes it harder to see they are moving. in person though you can see easier. the 2nd song they are moving more. but the video sucks more. sorry I will try to get something better over the weekend.

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#02wedDgAdG_-CObpjN48yv0jQ

With that 2nd song it shakes my sunroof cover open. when I went back to the front of the car I was like what the heck is this doing open. Then I found out when I closed it. :)

Nice, wait till those things soften up and really start getting it. Again, beautiful box man, did a great job on it.

Thanks M8! I still have some work to do on it, but that has to wait for warm weather.

Archived