Welcome to the SMD forum!

Hi I noticed the DC AUDIO Level5 18" recommended ported size is 5.5 cu ft.

Does that mean this 5.5cu ft prefab box on amazon would be a perfect match?

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Ported-Vented-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B07ZDN93VF?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

If so on how much power?

Hooray

https://www.dcsoundlab.com/level5

71zTDOQvd1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71m9ghGInzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61dwDr3XSaL._AC_SL1258_.jpg

I help people get loud that live down my way and do installs at gas stations for people who flag me down at red lights.  

On 4/30/2014 at 11:23 PM, meade916 said:

hahahah Gunnem that shit is funny bro

On 7/4/2014 at 10:22 AM, Soccerballzs said:

Gunnem You crack me up!! Love the pics!!!

On 6/12/2014 at 12:58 PM, JEFFYBOI said:

You got a funny personality. Which is cool man, unlike some of the dicks on here. :ph34r:

I like sloppy joe sammich but with garlic bread, not a burger bun.

If that enclosure is built as advertised, it will do just fine for a level 5 18 if you want 32 Hz tuning... mostly. But you run the risk that this enclosure may not be built to the exact specs advertised. Also, that doesn't look like enough port area for a level 5 18. I worry that your port velocity will be a bit high. Only way to find out for sure is to try it lol. That's sort of just the way it goes with prefabs.

Yeah I just plugged in the numbers on that box. Port velocity is going to land somewhere around 90 m/s, which is insanely high. Then again, aero ports have surprisingly low port noise even at high air velocities, but I personally would not use that box in an open cabin vehicle. You could get away with it in a closed trunk since any port noise would be inaudible from there.

• Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

Yeah prefabs get a lot of hate which is really not deserved this day in age

Yeah 10 15 years ago a prefab sucked but nowadays you got companies that are turning out 1 inch to 1 and 1/2 inch baffled dado glued and nailed enclosures with bracing that are prefabricated

in my humble opinion I don't think there's any difference between that man's 5 and 1/2 cubic feet in my 5 1/2 cubic feet I can come up with in my workshop

• Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

Simple rectangle ported enclosures like this are just so easy to build.

And before you say you don't have the tools, or the space, here's what I've done many times..... And coincidentally, again tommorow.... For an 18" subwoofer.

Find a nice lumberyard (NOT Home Depot) I go to a place that specializes in high quality hardwood, so their saws are too notch, and their customers expect precision cuts. 

I can buy a full sheet of MDF and have them chop it up for about $50. Your box would take probably 1 1/4 sheets. Figures, right ?

Bring it home and slap it together. All you really need is a good cordless drill, and plenty of wood glue. 

Mine tomorrow is for my 18" as well, but my factory specs are 4.5 cubes tuned to 31 hz. Easy peasy 🙂

I'm going to use two 15" passive radiators, so I won't even have i bother with ports.

Not sure how I'm going to finish it..... But don't want to jinx myself, so I'll give it a test run first, and if I like it, I'll pull it back out of the truck and spend a little time making it pretty 🙂

One more thing, not only are simple ported enclosures cheap and easy, but if it comes out good, it's kind of cool to tell people, Yea, made it myself, right to factory specs 😉

Edited by fishchris1

19 hours ago, fishchris1 said:

Find a nice lumberyard (NOT Home Depot) I go to a place that specializes in high quality hardwood, so their saws are too notch, and their customers expect precision cuts. 

That is genius actually.  This would have made my last build so much faster.  I used a hand saw, and then used my router to make them uniform.  I have a good collection of hand tools, but without a table saw or CNC, it can get iffy sometimes.

Project still turned out pretty nice, a little JB Weld wood putty took care of a mistake or two. Took some photos today, going to get them uploaded in a bit.

Yeah the bragging rights are always a plus lol

Edited by abdc