Sonic Electronix

My sub is alot weaker than before.

1 hour ago, MrSkippyJ said:

And now he isn’t distributing the power across 2 coils either. Not sure if that amp does anywhere near rated though.

The amp does have 180 Amos I'd fusing on board ( 6x30) so at best using Big D's big dummy math , if 100% efficient (yeah right) we are looking at 1800 watts.

That line of amps doesn't do rated.

But I'm sure it does enough to kill a single 375 watt coil at 4 ohms. Couple that situation with undersized power wire and that amp is making very dirty power 

I bet the amp is bad. Even if the sub was blown or on its way out, that should not be the cause of a hum. He says he removed the RCAs and the hum persisted. So I would think it's the amp itself.

Take pics of the wiring to the sub and we can help you set it up correctly for the next amp. Dont worry about what kind of equipment you're running. Everyone starts somewhere and sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late update. My sundown sa12 has a positive and negative on each coil so it is actually a d2. I have it wired to run 4ohms because of my amp. I took alot of time looking up how to wire it so I know all the wiring is correct since I have double checked everything and reconnected it. 

hey man,

i would check the grounds @ the

alternator

battery

amp

headhunt

and high to lows or any converters line drivers you may have installed, 

is the hum there only when the engine is running or is it there consistently.

last time i had this issue on a car it turned out to be a bad ground in my case i had all the necessary grounds in and they where tight but it wasn't enough i ended up adding an extra ground to the head units chassis and boom noise was gone, 

also check the wiring on the sub something inst happy there

4 Ohm load if you have a D2 Sub

wire the two - terminal to each other and the two + terminals to each other then wire up a lead to one - and One + on opposite coils to get a final 1 Ohm load

or

wire one coils + to the other coils - then connect a lead to the remaining + & - to get a 4 Ohm Load

also keep in mind if equipment is on its way out it may start making noises also had it with a DSP that was like 5 years old that started to generate a hum could be the amp or head-unit i would do what was mentioned before and plug a new RCA into the amp and your prone or another source that you know works fine to test the amp and sub and work back from there. 

im also assuming the RCA is run on opposite side of the car to your power wiring

also from what i just googled on the amp it has two sets of inputs are you running a 4 gauge input to both or just one? also are the grounds for the amp in separate locations or in the same spot, 

if they are in different spots try putting them onto one spot or vice versa, 

do you have both power and grounds hooked up?

i would guess 1800-2000 watt amp at 1 ohm its overrated a bit if its like the old rubicon it did descent but did not hit claimed numbers. 

edit dyslexic text

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Archived