Sonic Electronix

My sub is alot weaker than before.

Alright

Little overview of my setup

Sundown sa12

Soundstream RN.1 5000d running it at 4ohm for 1000wrms

4 gauge ofc wire for grounds and power

Boss audio 3.5 Cap

Basically I get this low hum and now the subwoofer barely has any power behind it. It used to hit really hard before this problem appeared. The protection light is not on and the power light is on solid. The voltage at the amplifier is 13.8-14.0. I started by cleaning the grounds and making sure everything is tight. Unplugged RCA's and the noise still persisted. Eliminated the capacitor and the noise didnt change. It makes the hum when the subwoofer gets power. Tested the resistance for both sides of my sub and both sides were 3.2. The subwoofer does move when u press down on it by hand. I am not sure what else is left to look at. I dont believe that the subwoofer is bad. I am trying to figure out if the rca's are bad or if the amplifier is bad. (Not ruling out wiring but I have triple checked all the wiring unless I have a wire that is damaged behind the insulating)

I hope this is the right section. If not can a mod move it to the right section. Thanks!

You're sub is blown cuzz you clipped it to death with a cheap amp.

You say you don't think sub is bad, but then go on to say it's coils are reading 3.2 and it's locked up and won't move when you press on it by hand.

It should read 3.6-3.7 actual it's d4. Also there is no way to run a d4 sub at 4 ohms unless your running one coil only, and if you're doing that....

Now if it's a dual 2 ohm sub each coil should around 2.1-2.3. so either way whether it's dual 4 or dual 2, the readings are getting at each coil indicate your coils are blown

Also 4 gauge inputs for that amplifier are extremely too small

Also that amplifier does not do 5000 Watts or does it do a thousand Watts at 4 it's completely overrated.

I'd say you blew the sub because your electrical was not able to support that amplifier and it was just a very bad situation with voltage

no matter what you say you are not going to support an amplifier that's going to pull that current on stock electrical with 4 gauge wire wire gauge be damned if you're not going to support that kind of wattage on stock electrical

I would try a different source, try using your phone or iPod with a headphone to RCA cable and see if it still makes noise?  If so, does it sound like an electrical buzz?

Sometimes the glue that holds down the internal transformer/s can come loose, this can cause all types of oscillations through the amplifiers output, soundstream (maxxsonics) are known to use low quality or (hobby grade) hot glue. 

I tried to record a sound clip of the noise that it makes. My phone has usb type c so let me try and find an adapter for it to try that. (Btw this setup is about 3 1/2 years old)

You are correct that it is a d4. The readings started at 3.4 then settled to 3.2. The way I am running it 4ohm is by having one wire from positive to negative on one side and then another wire from positive to negative to the terminals on the box. 

Any suggestions on what to check next?

Also @AaronT I have a voltage gauge in the car and it never drops below 13.6 with the car on and all accessories on with the sub full tilt (Until now since the sub doesn't play loud)

Audio from mycars12

Is there a certain way to test the sub and amp with a multimeter?

2 hours ago, mycars12 said:

I tried to record a sound clip of the noise that it makes. My phone has usb type c so let me try and find an adapter for it to try that. (Btw this setup is about 3 1/2 years old)

You are correct that it is a d4. The readings started at 3.4 then settled to 3.2. The way I am running it 4ohm is by having one wire from positive to negative on one side and then another wire from positive to negative to the terminals on the box. 

Any suggestions on what to check next?

Also @AaronT I have a voltage gauge in the car and it never drops below 13.6 with the car on and all accessories on with the sub full tilt (Until now since the sub doesn't play loud)

Audio from mycars12 31.19 kB · 1 download

Is there a certain way to test the sub and amp with a multimeter?

Sa' s have 1 coil per side, the way you explained it sounds like you only have one coil connected to the amp while the other side just has its terminals plugged with a wire? 

Your not only using a single coil right? Maybe some pics would help and your audio file doesn't play.

You CAN NOT run a d4 sub at 4 ohm 

What you are doing is not correct.

You have one coil hooked up, the wire on other side that going from positive to negative is not doing anything. It's literally shorted to itself.

You really need to learn more. Based on this alone I'm sure there are many many install issues going on with your setup

Archived