Second Skin Audio

What do ya'll think ?

fishchris1

Kind of crazy looking, right ? 

Two 15"s and an 18" in the same sealed box 🤪

Can't wait to tell people that. Their going to be like, "Bro ! WTF is that"?!?! 😆 Lol

Okay so what it really is, is a Skar EVL 18", in 5 cubes, with two 15" Dayton Audio passive radiators. They just happen to look exactly like 15" Dayton subs.... But no motor. Instead, they just have a bolt on the back side where you add weight to tune the enclosure. I tuned this box / sub at 30.48 hz. with 150 gm's per PR. This can be easily changed at any time for higher or lower tuning.

Also, I've always built enclosures that were covered in carpet, so the finish was not critical. But this time, I used putty and a ton of sanding to try to make all the seams and screw holes disappear, then covered the box in bedliner. It's not perfect, but I think it came out pretty nice. 

Throwing it in the truck tomorrow for it's maiden voyage, and a little beating 😉

Will give a report on it afterwards. 

Oh, giving it 945 wts RMS for now but already have another amp which will give it about 1400... The sub is rated at 1250  wts rms.

IMG_20200130_175056.jpg

IMG_20200131_153513.jpg

IMG_20200131_171455.jpg

IMG_20200201_133633.jpg

IMG_20200202_145023.jpg

Looks nice. I would like to see some numbers and a video of it playing too. :) Just wish I could see it in person. 

Thanks guys. So yes, the SQ from this setup is unbelievable ! Before I put it in the truck, I was thinking, "Well, if it only wants to play bass heavy stuff, or really low bass well, so be it. I always have the car, with my little 8" Sundown for SQ, and it's my daily driver anyway"🙂

But holy chit ! Not only does it hit crazy lows like that truck has never felt, it actually plays old-school stuff without a lot of, or very deep bass, "better" than my 10"s did ! Are you kidding me ?

Now for the only bummer... And I'm 98% sure this has nothing to do with this sub or the enclosure....

But rather the amp, or the electrical system.... So while it plays deep, and loud continuous bass notes, it tries to pop a little on sharp kick drum spikes 😕 

Replacing the amp next week anyway, so hope that fixes this issue. 

And btw, it's absolutely NOT an overexcursion issue. I played a 20 hz test track, and it was the cleanest 20hz that truck has ever felt ! No popping nor any other bad sounds... Zero wooshy port noise either... Well duh, it doesn't have any ports 🙂

Overall, I'm very happy with the build. Now to fix that little kick drum popping issue...

On 2/3/2020 at 12:18 PM, fishchris1 said:

Not sure if those photos are posting up correctly... And it's not letting me edit them, so let me try again, with smaller file sizes...

IMG_31012020_185343_(1200_x_1800_pixel).jpg

IMG_31012020_185416_(1800_x_1200_pixel).jpg

IMG_01022020_205626_(1800_x_1200_pixel).jpg

IMG_02022020_162107_(1800_x_1200_pixel).jpg

Nice,

Do you have any tips or advice or any video?

Jolie

A car enthusiast

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 11:58 PM, Jolie said:

Nice,

Do you have any tips or advice or any video?

Sorry I'm so late to reply. No honestly, using WinIsd Pro, PR boxes are really easy to calculate. Basically you just go with the factory suggested cubes, and put the parameters for the PR into WinIsd and it will tell you how much to weight your PR for any given tuning.

Basically this is just a regular ported box, but the PR acts as your port. 

After using this setup for a few weeks now, I can't see myself ever using a standard ported box again. This is just the cleanest, most musical sub setup I've ever had.... And using a big ol' mid level 18" ! WTF ? I still can't believe it.

SO worth the 1 1/2 db loss for the amazing SQ. I never felt that way about sealed boxes. I'm still not a sealed box guy.

14 hours ago, fishchris1 said:

Sorry I'm so late to reply. No honestly, using WinIsd Pro, PR boxes are really easy to calculate. Basically you just go with the factory suggested cubes, and put the parameters for the PR into WinIsd and it will tell you how much to weight your PR for any given tuning.

Basically this is just a regular ported box, but the PR acts as your port. 

After using this setup for a few weeks now, I can't see myself ever using a standard ported box again. This is just the cleanest, most musical sub setup I've ever had.... And using a big ol' mid level 18" ! WTF ? I still can't believe it.

SO worth the 1 1/2 db loss for the amazing SQ. I never felt that way about sealed boxes. I'm still not a sealed box guy.

Great. Thanks for your reply

Jolie

A car enthusiast

Archived