Should I cap or not?

So Looking though some of my old car audio stuff I found something interesting. An old Alumapro 15 Farad Capacitor like the one shown here. https://www.woofersetc.com/p-631-cap15-alumapro-15-farad-capacitordistribution-center.html

No I am wondering if I should hook it up and test it out. Will it hurt, help, or make no difference? :) Curious to see what I feedback I get on this. The cap has not seen power in over 15 years. Is it even still good? Let me know what you think.

Thanks

I have that exact cap and have been using it for many years. I bought it new back in the late 90's I want to say. Mine still works great. I say use it.

That being said, I think most on here will recommend a secondary battery instead of a cap.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

RF Power T1000 BDCP

RF Punch 400-4

2 P2D4 12's

Yeah. I have 3 batteries now, which is probably overkill for what I am running. I am just curious what people here think about it. :) and I forgot I had it, so I was surprised. 

I am only running 1400 watts with an XS Power battery under the hood and the big 3. With that cap, I have almost no voltage drop at all. I have never tested it without running the cap though. 

My alternator is the stock 100 amp also.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

RF Power T1000 BDCP

RF Punch 400-4

2 P2D4 12's

I am not currently getting any voltage drop unless I am setting at a red light. in that case my voltage drops about the same with the radio on or off. I was sitting at a red light yesterday for over 3 mins playing full tilt. My voltage dropped from 14v to 13.4v. Again, this is about the same thing it does with the radio off. at Idle my alternator doesn't put out much current.

Thanks! I was aware of that but I do appreciate you mentioning it. Even things I know I forget to take into account. Like test lead resistance.... anyway I plan on hooking it up to a battery away from anything just setting in the open driveway. See what happens. I plan on having some long wires to hook the load to also. I don’t really want to be right next to it, or have anything close that might catch on fire if the extreme happens. :) 

Thanks M8! I’ll be careful. I might even video it Incase something exciting happens.

Archived