Bought DD-1. Need guidance on setup

I just bought a dd-1 and used the directions to set up my 5 channel amp starting with the head unit. The head unit is set all flat no boost etc and goes to 39 before distortion. I set the gains separately on the 5 channel amp then connected speakers. (used the directions using the correct db levels for sound quality) When I start listening to music at 39 I hear distortion with my ears as soon as I change anything on the eq from flat settings. Should I set everything up the way I like on the eq and bass boost etc then set the gains using the dd-1?

Edited by wdelarme

If you tune at flat eq you will not distort at 39 but will at 40.

Adjust those settings and your distortion point will change, aka you are adding your own "gain" boost to the music from the headunit instead of at the amp when you change eq settings. 

You can adjust the eq to your preference, say you want more mid range than highs - do that, then tune to find your new distortion point. 

3 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

If you tune at flat eq you will not distort at 39 but will at 40.

Adjust those settings and your distortion point will change, aka you are adding your own "gain" boost to the music from the headunit instead of at the amp when you change eq settings. 

You can adjust the eq to your preference, say you want more mid range than highs - do that, then tune to find your new distortion point. 

Thanks. Thats what I thought but the directions showed leaving at flat eq. I will def set it how I like it then re set the gains again

One function of an EQ that is commonly overlooked is to set the gains with it flat, then instead of boosting the frequencies you want, you can lower the ones you don’t want. If done in this fashion it want introduce distortion the same as boosting signals.  

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

6 hours ago, Scotnemily said:

One function of an EQ that is commonly overlooked is to set the gains with it flat, then instead of boosting the frequencies you want, you can lower the ones you don’t want. If done in this fashion it want introduce distortion the same as boosting signals.  

I like this much better, might steal this idea for a rebuild

keep in mind that the DD1 is measuring audio signal. just because you are hearing distortion doesn't necessarily mean you have a distorted audio signal. your speakers may be creating the distortion. also keep in mind that setting your gains with the DD1 is getting the most power out of your amp without distortion. example, if you set your gain to 34 without the red light but it comes on at 35. if you boost a frequency, it's like turning the volume up to 35 on that one frequency.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

On 2/10/2020 at 8:25 PM, Scotnemily said:

This was the ticket. Something so simple never crossed my mind. Def sounds better than fighting it with more boosted freq