Second Skin Audio

American Bass VFL-8 Box design

Scotnemily

Ok there's lots to take in here.

Hopefully I got enough upload data left visually show pics I'll start with description

The 2 Yellow vfls you got, are exactly the same. Different caps as thru wanted to seperate vfl line from AB. They are identical TS parameters and everything else. The newest vfls, the black cones with vfl caps and ribbed surround are a bit different. Slightly heavier motors. Different ts parameters. The yellow and black cones are from different build houses.

Now the top dog 8s are the new hd 8 with blue baskets, they have triple slug motors as opposed to the yellow with dual slug motors.

Now the older hd 8s with black baskets are the same as the yellow cone vfls you got (they offered the HD 8 first then it got replaced with the VFL yellow cones)

As far as XD 8, Amazon just fucked that up. We won't compare it in this cuzz it is from again another build house.

Ab uses 4 build houses. 

The whole issue with all the subtle difference was when transition from ab line to vfl line and retailers were supposed to turn them in supposedly and get correct cataloged items  or sell off as discounts and ab would credit the dealers difference on next reup on stock.

So we have yellow AB cap vfl, Yellow vfls vfl. Same motor, basket and coil. The hd 8 that is black baskets is also the same.

Then black cone vfl with ribbed surround. I think it's 20 oz heavier motors and that's it aside from the cone and surround.

There was also different backplate for a brief minute on yellow cone and vfl, it was perimeter chamfered and silver

The new hd 8s are built from build house that does the xmax line for ab.

I know, a clusterfuck of confusion.

In pics the black basket is hd 8 old before it became vfl 8. The blue basket is the new xmax built he 8 triple slug.

And yellow of course us what you got.

God damn.

THANK YOU!! This also corresponds to what I have been reading and finding out from my research. But it was mostly speculation on my part as to what was going on. I have previously checked out those new Hd-8d2 with the blue baskets. they look pretty impressive. I probably wont be buying those though. :) 

I had a pair of the older yellow ab vfls and honestly I feel they aren't worth the extra 60 a pair compared to the hds2.108, I never really got the vfls soft enuff to get to full potential either , but they easily handle double thier rms and laugh about it (4" vc duh!) The hds get stinky a few hundred over rms. That being said I have owned bit ab and SQ and both companies make phenomenal products ( currently have 3 new tnt 15s), but the new hd 8 looks like a whole different level!

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Maybe was a 3" coil vs a 2.5? Idk I read so much about so much I get things mixxed up alot. But chances r you are right, ND I'll shut my pie hole lmao. Damn recreational law passed in mi ND everything gets jumbled alot easier it seems.😤

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Ok let me start by saying I have never built a slot port or designed a box with a slot port. From using Triticum's  calculator I think I want about 72 Square inches of port area. If I go with keeping the ration of no greater than 1:8 I could do a 3" x 24" with a length of 29" for a tuning of around 38hz. Does this sound correct? What am I missing? thanks for the help!

It's really hard to get tuned low in a small box with alot of power and still have enuff port area. I think my overall box was 4.5 cubes and net was just at 3 because of the port. I wanted it tuned down at 32 and after hearing them eat that low I almost thought I should have tuned a bit lower since im sure the weren't near thier mechanical limits yet, but I push limits a bit. My personal taste 38 is too high, but that depends on ur taste in music also. Maybe 34-35 and it'd prolly play everything well and still get low. My new box is 12.5 cubes gross and 9.25 net lol crazy how that works out.

Thanks I have read that these do play good tuned to 35hz. I am just trying to get something lines out :) thanks for the help!

Archived