Second Skin Audio

American Bass VFL-8 Box design

Scotnemily

good to know thanks. I might pick on up for testing until I have time to build something

It's like 100 bucks 

I modded it a bit, I used t-nuts and machine screws to mount subs, used Dayton audio binding posts instead of the factory posts. Used raptor 8g premium ofc for speaker wire, soldered copper lugs to connect wire from subs to binding posts inside box and used nakamichi 90° banana plugs with knukonceptz 8g from box to amp. It's 11/16 thick mdf double slot port (one on each outer side of box) common chamber.

It gets the job done. I'm a shitty shitty carpenter, I know to guys fairly decent with woodshop skills they can cook up a great box in a matter of an hour, but that's not my forte'.

Nice! I was looking over them. I was hoping to find one for 4 subs vs buying 2 dual sub boxes. I could just test 2 but kind of defeats the purpose of getting 4 to try. I am thinking about just slapping together a quick sealed enclosure. I know it won’t give quite the same out put as a ported but it would be fast and cheap to build. Likewise I could just throw a 6” PCs port in it. I have 6’ or more laying around still.

I have also wanted to do a box with a passive radiator. That would be handy to keep box size down. Would 2 of those 10” earthquake adjustable ones work? 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K1GV8QI/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_NN4qEbB26SKN3

3” seems kind of small to me. I think I ran a calculation last night before I fell asleep. If I have a 2.8 ft^3 box and use a 6” round port 22 inches long that gives me a tuning around 32hz also puts me in the 10.xx in^2 per ft^3 range. That would be super easy to build if I do the port on one side. Might not be what I want in the end, but for testing? It would be quick and easy. If those numbers look good. Just woke up after my typical 4 hours of sleep. :) 

So here would be the quick test box.

sXGV72K.png

6" port 22 inches total volume after displacement of port braces and subs about 2.9 ft^3

With my hds2s I had like 3" between rear of speaker and port wall and the two subs with port wall behind them dented dustcaps inward from all I can think was basically a vacuum  related in the vent pole from not having enuff room to draw adequate air . Just thoughts that may help, keep port as far away as possible from back of subs, maybe above or below magnet center? ND if ur porting to the side do u have atleast 6" clearence between port opening and side of truck? If not ur gonna choke it there too.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Archived