Second Skin Audio

American Bass VFL-8 Box design

Scotnemily

I don't really have the grasp of aeroports and round ports down yet,iffy to use em cause I'm not sure if the results and I KNOW what a slot design does so I kinda stick to what I know just cause I know it'll perform. Probably not the best it could be but it's what I'm comfortable building.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing wrong with going for what you know. I wont be too upset as long as the box performs decently. I might need to just use less power for it. I might give it a go over the weekend if I am not too busy...

On 2/10/2020 at 4:16 PM, Scotnemily said:

Ok I did a little playing around and came up with this design for the Yukon. It is not finalized by no means. I have to still confirm dims on the yukon it's self. Here is kind of where I am going with it though.

oxzpjMI.png

Window into the subs. white interior to help them pop. also will probably do some led lighting.

zxBPemC.png

Here is a crude x-section to show more detail.

bYmEHKS.png

Here is a view from the front looking up into it a little.

rG1wPqO.png

Right now the box specs are 2.8 ish ft^3 internal volume. port is 36" x 1.5"  and 37" in length.

Not sure if that 1.5" is going to be wide enough. And it is all subject to change at this point. this is just a rough first pass. 

Sorry I am using a different sub model I have so it isn't yellow...

Thoughts?

1.5 is too narrow. You will have chuffing. Needs to be at least 5 wide x 36 tall

Thanks! Yeah I did finally realize that. I think I ended up with something like 4" x 28" I couldn't really go wider than 4"

On 2/10/2020 at 4:16 PM, Scotnemily said:

Ok I did a little playing around and came up with this design for the Yukon. It is not finalized by no means. I have to still confirm dims on the yukon it's self. Here is kind of where I am going with it though.

oxzpjMI.png

Window into the subs. white interior to help them pop. also will probably do some led lighting.

zxBPemC.png

Here is a crude x-section to show more detail.

bYmEHKS.png

Here is a view from the front looking up into it a little.

rG1wPqO.png

Right now the box specs are 2.8 ish ft^3 internal volume. port is 36" x 1.5"  and 37" in length.

Not sure if that 1.5" is going to be wide enough. And it is all subject to change at this point. this is just a rough first pass. 

Sorry I am using a different sub model I have so it isn't yellow...

Thoughts?

20 hours ago, Scotnemily said:

Nothing wrong with going for what you know. I wont be too upset as long as the box performs decently. I might need to just use less power for it. I might give it a go over the weekend if I am not too busy...

You can try the 6" but I think it's too small. It's a little small on my 3 8s on 2k ish...

It's going in a yukon right? Make it full width 48-49.5" wide and use all 4 subs and the 8" port on the same baffle. Then use a 90 on the port to turn and travel the length of the box.

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

yeah it is going in a 2012 Yukon Denali. Sorry I have been jumping around. I went from a final box design to talking about a temp box design in the same thread without being very clear. the Image with the logo and plexi is close to what I would like the finished permanent design to look like. Except the port size has already changed from that picture. I have to work out the port or passive radiators. The one with the 6" port is just a simple quick get them in a box to test. testing wont even be done with an amp hooked up in the Yukon. it was just going to be a test box so the subs aren't free air. I am not sure what power will be going to the test box but i doubt it will be over 2000 watts. The other box will probably see between 2000 and 4000 watts. Not sure yet. The box with the logo is 49.5 inches wide and will fit the space behind my 3rd row. the other test box will set there but wont be fitted to the space or shape. just something to hold the subs that isn't way off the specs is what I was shooting for.

Has anyone used that earthquake Pump-12 PR? looks interesting...

So here is where I left it last. port is now 3"x27" I don't remember the length off the top of my head. here are some section views. Hopefully you can tell what is going on...

Lt0pKHF.png

ad3VZmE.png

ntSCzrb.png

38 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

So here is where I left it last. port is now 3"x27" I don't remember the length off the top of my head. here are some section views. Hopefully you can tell what is going on...

Lt0pKHF.png

ad3VZmE.png

ntSCzrb.png

So why not use an 8" port on the same face as the subs and 90 it inside the box?

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

I could do that. I would have to find a 8" round port with a 90 degree elbow. I haven't looked for one. If that would work better then the slot port I am all for it though. 

Archived