Second Skin Audio

American Bass VFL-8 Box design

Scotnemily

I've had good luck in my gf Yukon port and subs back and port on passenger side

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok thanks. I was tempted to do a stacked style box, but I don’t want to take the time. Especially not for a box I am testing and will probably sell.

So here is a quick render of the test box. Right now the plan is a simple black carpet with some 4 way stretch carbon fiber vinyl. Also each coil will have it's own terminal on the outside of the box. that way switching loads will be quick and easy.

D2g37FJ.png

84Sj6mG.png

KW1kaBv.png

I already have most of the boards cut. I hope to have everything but the kerf cut tomorrow on my lunch break.

I think I am going to start with 2. If I need more, then I can always do a box with 4 and sell this box. I want to see what 2 sound like, then go from there. Besides harder to convince my why we need 4 in there when she is ok if none are in there. :D 

16 hours ago, Scotnemily said:

I think I am going to start with 2. If I need more, then I can always do a box with 4 and sell this box. I want to see what 2 sound like, then go from there. Besides harder to convince my why we need 4 in there when she is ok if none are in there. :D 

Lol I sold my wife on 4 12s for her yukon xl. Been in there about 2 years now

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

Wish I could sell my wife on them. She set in the Bimmer with the remote gain about 1/4 where i listen to it, and the radio about half and she climbed out saying it was way too loud. :) Granted I don't play it that loud all the time, but If I want to relax and get lost for a little while I tend to crank it up.

Here is most of the boards cut. 

FWCcdgn.jpg

Still have to cut the holes in the 2 baffles, And do the kerf cuts. But it is progress...

Box put on semi hold. I decided to get some of the smart corners from mobile solutions instead of doing the kerf. I didn’t want to take the time to strengthen the kerfed board. And I figured I would use these in the future. Now I have to wait for them to come in. Also ordered the vinyl and carpet. I will do the cuts for the subs his weekend if I have time. Hopefully next week the stuff will be here and I can start building.

19 hours ago, Scotnemily said:

Box put on semi hold. I decided to get some of the smart corners from mobile solutions instead of doing the kerf. I didn’t want to take the time to strengthen the kerfed board. And I figured I would use these in the future. Now I have to wait for them to come in. Also ordered the vinyl and carpet. I will do the cuts for the subs his weekend if I have time. Hopefully next week the stuff will be here and I can start building.

Interesting, never knew those existed. Still I would probably just kerf it. Never had a problem with strength. I always fill the cuts with wood glue before I bend it and it ends up pretty solid. But I havent done it one large sub builds. Just a single 10 or some speaker pods.

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

Archived