Cheap @ss batteries, whats wrong with these ???

First let me just say, I have had a small electrical drain in my truck for a LONG time, and nobody has been able to figure out where its coming from :( I used to use some very expensive, pretty high end batteries... but after letting those sit for a while, I killed them a few times, and that killed them permanently. I couldn't afford to keep putting $300 batts in the truck every time I killed one, so I decided to try one of these cheap azz batteries from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Value-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-Size-65/47308796

And holy $#!+ ! They work just great. For the time being, I'm only running about a 2 Kwt stereo system, but with only one of these batteries for both the truck and the stereo, and I can't believe it holds up to at least 13.5 volts when beating on the stereo. Heck, my expensive, high end batteries did no better.

So here's where I'm going with this, I am planning to upgrade my alternator soon to a 300+ amp model (more than I need for now, but for future proofing). And I want to have some extra battery power. What would be the advantage of say, 1 of these batteries 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_122D3400/XS-Power-D3400.html?tp=36339

verses 6 of these batteries

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Value-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-Size-65/47308796

.....other than weight. And to be honest, I only said "6 of these" as you can literally buy 6 of these for the cost of the one Excess Power battery above it. Honestly, I think I would probably only go with 3 or 4 of them.

And btw, I NEVER play my stereo with my truck not running... except maybe at a very low level, while watching my voltage gage to insure it doesn't drop below 12 volts, so deep cycle wont help me much.

Finding a parasitic draw is a simple process that you should do yourself since you've had others fail (likely due to not understanding what it is they're doing). This isn't too terrible of a writeup, and you should have no problems finding your draw.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain%3famp=1 

As your battery choices, to each his own, I prefer quality over quantity, and I have family that uses those cheap walmart batteries for their vehicles (no aftermarket anything, just for the purposes of starting the vehicle) and after a year, sometimes two if they're lucky, they're replacing the battery again because it won't hold a charge anymore. I've been running the same XS Power under my hood for 5 years now with zero issues starting up or holding a charge, still rests around 12.9 when I havent driven for a few days.

I'd personally choose the xs.  It will last longer.  Buy a charger or battery tender to keep it up.  I've had the same xs d3400 in my 07 silverado for I dont know how long.  I've let the truck sit twice for like a year at a time. Battery was dead dead.  Hooked it up to the xs psc15 on recovery mode.  Like new again.  

1 hour ago, Fish Chris said:

Tell me why an expensive @ss battery like those, is a better value than 3 or 4 of the batteries I posted the link to, and then I can decide where I buy them from.

Those expensive ass batteries won't fill a sealed cab with explosive/poisonous hydrogen gas like LA/FLA does during hard charging, id keep them under the hood or in a vented exterior enclosure.

2 hours ago, slowfkncar said:

Those expensive ass batteries won't fill a sealed cab with explosive/poisonous hydrogen gas like LA/FLA does during hard charging, id keep them under the hood or in a vented exterior enclosure.

this.  although some AGM batteries do require vent tubes, I haven't seen an XS that does.

3 hours ago, Fish Chris said:

Tell me why an expensive @ss battery like those, is a better value than 3 or 4 of the batteries I posted the link to, and then I can decide where I buy them from.

Battery composition.  Lead acid/Flooded Lead Acid vs AGM.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_214_summary_table_of_lead_based_batteries

If you ever crash with a agm and it flops over it wont leak acid either, Flooded lead acid batteries will however. 

1997 subaru legacy outback

Four 15's in a almost wall

Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets
Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass

Optima Yellow top batteries
270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) 
Lots of Second Skin

Archived