Cheap @ss batteries, whats wrong with these ???

3 hours ago, Fish Chris said:

First off, thank you very much Aaron. I really have read your response multiple times. And I will definitely consider cheaper, AGM batts down the road, when replacements become neccessary.

However, when you say, regular batteries are shitty for what we are doing, why ??? The single, cheap azz battery that I'm running right now, is actually doing a surprisingly good job ! As I say, I'm holding at least 13.2 parked, and 13.5-13.7 driving while beating my system close to max. Granted, my system is only around 2Kwts right now. So back to when you said, "Shitty for what we are doing".... Maybe you mean, you and a lot of others here, with many Kwt systems... but not me, at least yet :)

So here's the other point I'm trying to make.... I know that in nearly every aspect, those high quality batts (like Xs for an example) are better, maybe much better, than the cheap batts I posted the link for. I just have a very hard time believe they are 400-600% better, although the folks that are spending 400-600% more money on them, would probably like to believe that. This is where I need convincing. I'm not asking which batteries are better. I'm asking, which are the best value.

Long story short, just the fact that my stock, 12 yo alternator (130amp), running into one, very cheap battery is working so well as it is, I just can't believe that a 320 amp aftermarket alternator, running into 3 or 4 of those same batts, wont provide a HUGE improvement..... and that alternator + 4 of those batts, would only cost about $550. A Mechman 370 + 4 big Xs batts would be awesome ! But that would also be about $2000 ! 

If what your doing works, then by all means run it 

But the AGM's deep cycle better, last longer and you'd probably be up around 13.7+ with one instead of set cell.

I've used wets in the past, many moons Ago.

I like the ability to turn Batts on side if needed, and put in cab without risk of fumes 

But again, if you're happy with it use it. I'm not one of them guys to talk down on something just because I don't agree or do something different 

The brotherhood of car audio community is getting lost these days with people celebrating at the chance to drag each other through the mud on forums try to make eachother look stupid or like we don't know what each other is doing.

I support everything that works and I support everybody in this community

I will not look down on somebody because they run a different amp that's cheaper or call sound quality guys snobs in stupid idiots who waste money on outrageously expensive amps (i was called that same exact thing yesterday on FB)

We have one common goal I have cool loud radios we need to start supporting each other more instead of trying to cut each other down

I'd like to know a little bit more about your setup because a true 2000w wouldn't hold that kind of voltage with 130 amp alternator and a regular battery.

I mean it would be okay but you really have no idea what the difference in sound feel is when you can give those amps extremely Stout voltage that doesn't move a bit

When I first got back into this hobby about 8 years ago  

I did big 3 with 1g ofc, 1g ofc to rear. A kinetic 35 zmo hour AGM under hood and a kinetic 18 ah in rear. Amos were rockford punch p1000x1 and p400x4. My voltage held in high 13s like 13.6 to 13.8

When I dumped a 250 amp alt in there and 2 45 ah AGM's it really made a difference, that shit felt like it wanted to punch  hole in your chest  

There's more to it than voltage apoearantly. It's about amperage to.

The amps never pull the Batts down even though voltage meter says all good the amps are just kinda on a diet, they are surviving Bd working fine, but I equate it to like this.

Regular alt and Batts are like giving an athlete a cutting diet,  and stepping it up and having power in reserve is like a bulking power lifer diet 

Both athletes look great, but the power lifter can move bug weight when needed where the cutt duet athlete will struggle with all his might to do it, powerlifter does it  with ease and a smile no sweat

1 hour ago, AaronT said:

I'd like to know a little bit more about your setup because a true 2000w wouldn't hold that kind of voltage with 130 amp alternator and a regular battery.

I mean it would be okay but you really have no idea what the difference in sound feel is when you can give those amps extremely Stout voltage that doesn't move a bit

When I first got back into this hobby about 8 years ago  

I did big 3 with 1g ofc, 1g ofc to rear. A kinetic 35 zmo hour AGM under hood and a kinetic 18 ah in rear. Amos were rockford punch p1000x1 and p400x4. My voltage held in high 13s like 13.6 to 13.8

When I dumped a 250 amp alt in there and 2 45 ah AGM's it really made a difference, that shit felt like it wanted to punch  hole in your chest  

There's more to it than voltage apoearantly. It's about amperage to.

The amps never pull the Batts down even though voltage meter says all good the amps are just kinda on a diet, they are surviving Bd working fine, but I equate it to like this.

Regular alt and Batts are like giving an athlete a cutting diet,  and stepping it up and having power in reserve is like a bulking power lifer diet 

Both athletes look great, but the power lifter can move bug weight when needed where the cutt duet athlete will struggle with all his might to do it, powerlifter does it  with ease and a smile no sweat

TY very much Aaron. Well, I'm exaggerating a little... My amp is a Wolfram 2400.1 "which could put out" about 2530 wts... "If" I were running it into 1 ohm. But since I'm only making 2 ohms, it's actually only putting out about 1300 and change. Definitely more efficient that way though, right ? Not to mention, my Skar EVL 18" is only rated for 1250 RMS anyway, so it's getting pretty decent power.

AND I'm still using the 4 stereo channels of my old RF Power 1000 25 to Life, so that's pretty close to 450 more watts. 

You make a very good point about the difference between volts and amps, which is another reason why I want to upgrade my electrical, even though my voltage is not dipping to badly. I'm sure it would make a big difference just as it did for you. I'm really not surprised to hear you say that it it did.

Much thanks again. 

I believe there is also a difference in the internal resistance of the battery.

I have had my odyssey agm for idk how damn long now.

found it 9-3-13  6 years 5 months.

I have successfully drained twice with head lights left on in the past.

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

1 hour ago, deathcards said:

I believe there is also a difference in the internal resistance of the battery.

I have had my odyssey agm for idk how damn long now.

found it 9-3-13  6 years 5 months.

I have successfully drained twice with head lights left on in the past.

I remember way back I learned from a battery guy, that you could buy a generic version of the Odyssey battery for like $129. Used one of those in my trucks for quite a long time. It was a great battery but then my truck developed that slow drain, and I wasn't using the truck much then. Killed that battery dead, and that's when I started using these Walmart cheapies.

6 hours ago, AaronT said:

RF 25 to life.

Great great amp. Im jealous

Ya' know, I really loved that amp ! Worked so well, for so long... then I started having problems with it last year. Sent it back to RF twice ! (major PITA with that huge thing) Now, here we are 6 months later, and yesterday, it messed up a couple times again :( It would be really hard to just throw thing in the trash, but not going to pay to have it repaired again ?  I really need to hurry up and get me a nice 4 ch amp to be able to completely retire it ASAP ! 

5 hours ago, Fish Chris said:

Ya' know, I really loved that amp ! Worked so well, for so long... then I started having problems with it last year. Sent it back to RF twice ! (major PITA with that huge thing) Now, here we are 6 months later, and yesterday, it messed up a couple times again :( It would be really hard to just throw thing in the trash, but not going to pay to have it repaired again ?  I really need to hurry up and get me a nice 4 ch amp to be able to completely retire it ASAP ! 

don't chuck it, i'll take it and put it on a wall

Archived