Second Skin Audio

Reducing hatch rattle

pav00

Hi all,

I just finished building my system in my 2001 Subaru Impreza Hatch and I’m getting really loud hatch rattle when the sub hits low. I’ve done a bit of sound deadening on it, just wanna know if you guys got any other suggestions on how to strengthen it even more. 

Box specs:

- 5.757 ft3 total volume

- 4.25 ft3 after port displacement, dowel bracing and sub displacement.

Tuned to 30hz 

Here are my system specs:

1x Sundown Audio Xv2 D2 15" (wired down to 1ohm)

1x Sundown Audio SFB-3000w amp

1x Orion HCCA 2000.4 for the doors

4x Pioneer TS-M650 Pro 6.5" mids

2x Pioneer TS-B400 Pro 4" Bullet Tweets (1 per front door)

Electrical:

- All 0 gauge OFC wire

- Upgraded front battery (Fullriver HC44 AGM)

- Maverick 148ah AGM in the back

- 370A CES Alternator

666FDCB7-B148-495B-B956-3893F5F970B5.jpeg

6B3655F9-4EA5-4F0C-9E6E-488FE09A5F83.jpeg

I love how U spent money on good electrical, your build is legit , great equipment, with that power and your port is blowing a tornado on your hatch keep adding sound deadening go thick don’t forget the license plate .  If possible try turning the box around but that might change the sound but if it’s easy to do won’t hurt to try.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Yeah I’m definitely gonna go ham with the sound deadening and foam filler on the hatch. Might try turn the box around as well and see how that effects the rattle. 

I personally dont recommend the use of foam filler inside the hatch. Its messy and will likely make it's way into the latch assembly or something else and cause operating issues. If you insist on using it, then stuff the area with a trash bag and fill the inside of the bag to take away the mess as much as possible, but you may still run into operational issues if it gets in the way of any moving parts. Start with deadener to stiffen up the sheet metal, throw some butyl rope or even foam tape behind the license plate on the outer edge, and go from there to see what specific areas you need to focus on adding more deadener or even some mass loaded vinyl to stiffen that area.

2 hours ago, reedal said:

I personally dont recommend the use of foam filler inside the hatch. Its messy and will likely make it's way into the latch assembly or something else and cause operating issues. If you insist on using it, then stuff the area with a trash bag and fill the inside of the bag to take away the mess as much as possible, but you may still run into operational issues if it gets in the way of any moving parts. Start with deadener to stiffen up the sheet metal, throw some butyl rope or even foam tape behind the license plate on the outer edge, and go from there to see what specific areas you need to focus on adding more deadener or even some mass loaded vinyl to stiffen that area.

the trash bag idea is seriously protip level stuff, i wish i had done that when i foamed my old hatch, but it was all rusted out and needed replacing anyway.

all that being said, there was an unbelievable difference in the before and after from expandable foaming the hatch on my old car.  I highly recommend doing it, just use a trash bag like reed said.

also, it helps if you know where the rattles are coming from, stand out back while jamming (in a big open space away from people and homes) and really pay attention to it.  if it's your plate, deaden the area behind it and make sure you use 4 screws, or nuts and bolts to firmly tighten the plate down, if its the hatch on the seals, try adjusting the striker/latch to pull the door in tighter when you shut it or add some weather stripping foam over the oem weather stripping to make a tighter seal when it's shut.  if you can tell it's the inner and outer skin vibrating against each other, try to slip some deadener in between the oem metal, if it's the glass (if the glass opens) do the weather stripping trick again there.

i did all of those things on my e39 hatch and completely killed any sort of rattle i had back there.  took less than a day to do too.

Thanks so much for all the tips boys :))) 

For the foam filler I was going to try box out all the latch and lock assembly with some cardboard but the garbage bag tip seems a lot easier ahah. Ive added the rest of the sound deadening material that I had to the hatch and I've ordered more online. Ive secured the licence plate down in all 4 corners with some sound deadener behind it. Im going to try adjusting the latch to pull the door shut tighter just need to buy some of the weather proof foam stuff. Hopefully all this works and I can play bellow 30hz full tilt with less hatch rattle ahah 

In my Z I just undid the hatch bar thing and slid it down as far as it could go so it would close tighter. I then got some really thick foam weather stripping and lined it all the away around the hatch along the factory rubber weather stripping. That and some dynomat made my hatch virtually rattle free 

Archived