Second Skin Audio

How can I get more out of my subs?

Skar'dSenesless

I am running this system in attached pics with a Skar RP-3500.1d monoblock amp, Mechman alternator and a XS D3400 battery in 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab. I currently have the box sitting on its back with the subs firing up towards the roof over the front seats. It sounds good, but I think it should be louder and rattling the walls and it isn't. Would a sealed box make it any better? 

Screenshot (40).png

Screenshot (41).png

Usually ported boxes have higher output than sealed unless you are starving the subs with net volume or too little port for the power they are seeing. I'd say ditch the prefab and make your own tailored to your subs and tuning preference

• 2 months later...

That is honestly a tough call, unless you have a few different boxes to try out you may be limited by the Cars inside cabin resonance.  I have a custom ported box with a Skar 15 inch subwoofer that plays amazing in my Subaru Legacy (back seat) but that same exact sub sounds like crap in my Mustang.  No matter which direction I face the speaker or ports. Really kind of bummed LOL

I ended up finding a prefab ported box for my Mustang that actually sounded the best out of the many options I’ve tried.  Even going with a sealed sub in the backseat or in the trunk was almost useless. Custom box is tuned to 28 Hz, another prefab was 37 Hz and this one is 33 Hz which was by far the best but it was quite a bit bigger than the 37 Hz prefab. Might just have to find the right tune for your cab.

I just design an enclosure for a guy on here for his truck and he is running the same subwoofers. It was 8.07 cubic feet after displacements and 94.875 sq” of port area tuned to 30.5hz after displacements. Subs up port driver side. It’s gonna slam. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

2 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Get a custom enclosure built a little bigger than specs with a port area a little bigger than specs with a frequency of 30hz and do subs up, port on the side, the drivers side. 

Lol what are the odds bro 

2 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Click on the link

https://imgur.com/a/ivYX2xx

(You will have to take out your back seats for this build)

most ppl with hard hitting truck builds don’t have back seats, most ppl, not all. 

I was gonna get the same amp he has but I’m pretty sure the taramp smart 3 will do a better job with those subs based on the specs and dynos 

10 minutes ago, Spazy808 said:

Lol what are the odds bro 

I know right lol! I hope you aren’t mad that I posted that design for him too. It’s a good design for them subwoofers and it was in a truck about the same size so I said to myself, I have to post it. I know them subwoofers are popular but dang, same subwoofers on the same rms (because you’re amp you don’t have to worry about rise as much, he does though) and in a similar vehicle. Crazy. 

10 minutes ago, Spazy808 said:

I was gonna get the same amp he has but I’m pretty sure the taramp smart 3 will do a better job with those subs based on the specs and dynos 

You can’t go wrong with an amp putting out 3000 rms at 1 ohm and at 2 ohms too. And that’s at 12.6 volts. 

Archived