Sundown Audio

Amp recommendations

HighlanderAudio

Hello

I'm looking for a new or refurbished amp for stereo system.

My subwoofer is a single 12" Kicker S12L7 4ohm DVC rated at 750RMS. I'd like to match this as closely as possibly and still be in my budget of 100-150$ roughly.

I was looking at the Pioneer GM-d9701 amp, but I notice that the wattage is over by 50w rms. Would this be an issue? Do you guys have any other recommendations?

12" Kicker S12L7 in 3.0cu ported enclosure tuned to about 34hz(adjustable). 

• 3 weeks later...

You really don't need to be that close to recommended specs to make your speakers pound. Buy a 1500 watt amp and turn it down. Buy whatever is in your price range. It's really not that important. I run old school stuff only. But I'm running 2 500 watt rms subs off 1 50x2 amp... It pounds. 

Yes but no need to turn it down really with 1500 to a 750rms 1500 peak sub.

Music is dynamic, and amp will only put out bursts of 1500 at max volume briefly which sub will be more than capable of taking.

Now if test tones where being played for minutes on end, then yes, turn gain to get out put voltage to match subs RMS.

But then we can move on to impedance rise and cause amp to put out way less than it's Max at any given nominal load as the subs resistance is reactive and the amp will rarely see the wire nominal load.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:24 PM, HighlanderAudio said:

Do you think I'd be better off at 700w rms instead of 800? 750 is harder to find in my price range. I'll be using a DD1 and AMM1 to set gains properly.

The AMM1 will make more sense with the larger amplifiers since it takes the resistance of the coil during play time in the enclosure and will show a more true wattage the subwoofer is actually seeing.

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Archived