Second Skin Audio

Building first box, need some input... Sealed or ported??

buddha9109

Hey all, this is my first post. I have always had a sub in my vehicle but it was always just what I could get my hands on and no science went into it. I am finally wanting to build a box for my specific sub. It is a Rockford P2D2-10. I got a great deal on it and figured why not build a box and hook it up! 

According to Rockford, the recommended enclosure size for a sealed box is 0.50 to 0.85 ft^3 and a vented box 1.40 ft^3

I am putting the sub in my ext cab GMC Sierra pickup under the rear seat so I don't have a whole lot of room. My first design is for a basic rectangle box with a volume of 0.765 ft^3. The woofer displacement is 0.088 so the volume would end up being 0.677. This is right in the middle of the recommended volume so I figured that would be a solid choice for the box. But then I thought, what if I build a ported box...? The room I have doesn't allow for the size of ported box that Rockford recommends. So I am wondering, if I port the box I have designed will it sound ok? I put the numbers into WinISD and tuned the box to 32Hz and have found I have a few options for a round port that would fit the dimensions of my box.

But is it worth it? Should I just stick with keeping it sealed or can I get away with porting the small box I have designed and still have good sound??

Thanks for any input!!

10 SUB BOX FINAL.pdf

Wait.... you have rear seats in a truck ? What the heck are those for ? I never have a problem with seating in my truck... Mine is always on the front left :) lol  Okay, just messing with you. Personally speaking, if I had to keep the rear seats in my truck (I ripped mine completely out, two weeks after buying my truck brand new, 12 years ago, and never looked back) Id look into one of those pre-built underseat boxes like SMD has.... with a few 8"s or four 6 1/2"s.... I know those things can slam. Other than that, you are not going to be able to do much, as long as you have those seats in your way. Do you have a bedcover ? You could always have your subs in the bed... as many, and as big as you want, and the sound coming though to the cab, but that requires a little hacking on the back of your cab, and front of your bed. I've done that, with an old Chevy S-10, and it worked great !  :)

34 minutes ago, Fish Chris said:

Wait.... you have rear seats in a truck ? What the heck are those for ? I never have a problem with seating in my truck... Mine is always on the front left :) lol  Okay, just messing with you. Personally speaking, if I had to keep the rear seats in my truck (I ripped mine completely out, two weeks after buying my truck brand new, 12 years ago, and never looked back) Id look into one of those pre-built underseat boxes like SMD has.... with a few 8"s or four 6 1/2"s.... I know those things can slam. Other than that, you are not going to be able to do much, as long as you have those seats in your way. Do you have a bedcover ? You could always have your subs in the bed... as many, and as big as you want, and the sound coming though to the cab, but that requires a little hacking on the back of your cab, and front of your bed. I've done that, with an old Chevy S-10, and it worked great !  :)

Lol, I have always considered removing my rear seat. Nobody ever sits back there anyway! But I'm not looking to win any competitions or anything like that.. Just want a decent system for day to day listening and rocking out. I have some 3/4 MDF laying around so that's the main reason I want to build something. I may have to look into some custom fit boxes for my truck. I have a box for two 12s that came with it when I bought it. Just looking to change it up a bit.

Archived