Just one simple power question...

Is it possible for your charging system and a single up front battery to charge really well, and even hold 13.5 to 14 volts while beating on your system, yet still not quite be able to provide quick spikes of juice needed for sharp spikes of power for kick drums and such ???

The reason I aak, is that my electrical does exactly this... I can beat the living shit out if my system, parked, and not drop below 13.5... maybe 13.2 if it were hotter weather, yet the only little bit of red flickering I ever see on my bass knob is from kick drums. I'd like to think providing more juice quicker, would let me crank it even a little more without clipping on those sharp spike power needs. Does this sound possible ?

It also depends on your ohm load on your subs .5 is gonna drain your battery fast but 2ohms probably won’t drop voltage but a couple tenths. If you have better then stock electrical.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

3 hours ago, Mike4068 said:

I think your wording is confusing but I will try to help. Hard bass hits take considerably more power reproduce. If you have voltage drops, you need to upgrade your alternator and possibly add another battery depending upon your power requirements. 

Not sure how to word it any easier....

My voltage stays up to like 13.2-14 volts on my voltmeter, but does that automatically mean my electrical system can provide enough instantaneous amps for sharp bass spikes (typically kick drums) ?

On other words, just because your voltage is staying up fairly high, does this mean an electrical upgrade will not help at all ? 

I'll tell you, if this is the case, at the very least, I'd throw in a nice strong capacitor.... Or a couple of them.  Also, I'd still upgrade my battery. 

2 hours ago, Ron36 said:

It also depends on your ohm load on your subs .5 is gonna drain your battery fast but 2ohms probably won’t drop voltage but a couple tenths. If you have better then stock electrical.

I'm running everything at a 2 ohm load, so it's just smooth sailing. Efficient. Not too hot.

And yes, when beating the chit out of it, it only drops a few tenths..... But again, I'm wondering about delivering instantaneous peaks of juice for kick drums and such....

Because again, that is the only time I ever see any red flickering on my bass knob clipping indicator. I guess it could be that I'm just getting close the limits of the amp itself... But I'd like to think I could get a bit more out of it, if I could give it enough power really fast, for the spikes.

What volt meter are you using? Some volt meters make it really tough to see voltage changes that last for a very short time. You would need to be able to see that voltage change to know what is really going on. I’d venture to guess though that if you aren’t seeing a ton of fluctuation outside of the kick drum type stuff then you are probably ok. 

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

4 hours ago, MrSkippyJ said:

What volt meter are you using? Some volt meters make it really tough to see voltage changes that last for a very short time. You would need to be able to see that voltage change to know what is really going on. I’d venture to guess though that if you aren’t seeing a ton of fluctuation outside of the kick drum type stuff then you are probably ok. 

I don't remember the brand, but it is VERY slow to change readings. It never flickers or jumps up and down due to any strong bass hits. That's another reason why I think I could be having short duration voltage drops, for bass spikes and such, in spite of the fact that my overall voltage is staying up so well, with a stock alternator, and cheap crappy battery. 

Archived