Sonic Electronix

Where do I put my fuse on the big 3 with battery in rear?

So I am doing the big 3 and I have a Cadillac DTS and the battery is in the rear. The alternator wire goes to the fuse box in front on a post. The battery wire goes from the rear to the front on that same post. The alternator wire is a short run like maybe a foot or less to the positive post in front and obviously the rear is about a 10 to 12 foot run to that same post. So do I put the inline fuse in the rear coming off the battery to the post in front or coming off the alternator to a fuse then go into the post in front? I am hoping to put it on the battery side because room is limited on the alternator wire. You can't even see it it's a short run under other wires in front. If anyone knows a DTS it's a 20 pound bag of crap stuffed in a 10 pound bag. 

Any long run won’t hurt to fuse both sides close to the power side meaning battery or the positive junction block it’s going to. I’ve never had a complaint for to many fuses for safety. Not worth burning a PCM or your car down. I always fuse twice if it’s a long run.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

48 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

Any long run won’t hurt to fuse both sides close to the power side meaning battery or the positive junction block it’s going to. I’ve never had a complaint for to many fuses for safety. Not worth burning a PCM or your car down. I always fuse twice if it’s a long run.

Thanks

28 minutes ago, AaronT said:

As close to each battery as you can get it

I only have 1 battery so I will just add one by the battery in the rear that goes all the way to the junction that shares the one to the alternator 

fuses go within 18" of every power source (battery/alternator). if you only do it at the battery, then the other side is still live. 

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

4 hours ago, mothra said:

fuses go within 18" of every power source (battery/alternator). if you only do it at the battery, then the other side is still live. 

This. Pay attention to your schematic. Why fuse only one side when the other is still live if that fuse pops? The alternator is sending current to that battery it needs a fuse too

Archived