Sonic Electronix

Plz explain something to me...

I keep seeing videos where guys are setting up their sub/amp combos, to be seeing .5 and even .4 ohm loads ! That seems just crazy. But then they will say they are making  #### watts.... and it is usually what the amp is rated for at 1 ohm ? If their wattage is not increasing dramatically by dropping the resistance from 1 ohm, to .5 or .4 ohms, whats the point of even setting it up that way in the first place ?

Here's an example... this guy says he is making 12K watts... But then he says he is making a .4 ohm load ? Why ? 

Okay, I'm sorry if I'm just being stupid, but I've watched that video twice, and while I can totally see how the resistance of a setup changes all over the place, based on lots of factors, not only the box..... Typically it seems to "rise" way up, hence the term, "box rise".

But then, do people actually set up their systems to create .4 and .5 ohms to begin with ? And get by with it ? Are any of you guys setting up your systems this way ? 

Also, I have to say, I had no idea that box rise could be so drastic. (albeit, in the video, they did the test in free air, so I don't know if it's this drastic in real world, sub enclosure setups) But anyway, a system that pushes 5000 wts at 1 ohm, may only be pushing 1200 wts at 14 ohms ??? Sounds like a major problem.

Archived