Sundown Audio

Sundown SCV4000 's keep blowing

LoudForeign99

Just terrible. I recently replaced my Sundown SAZ3500d with an SCV400D just to take advantage of the Cap voltage capability and there was a little difference and sounded great! all of a sudden, after 1 week, shut the car off and came back and started it up, the amp started smoking and failed. I assumed I had a bad amp so I replaced it with another SCV400D I had and installed it exactly the same way. After about a week again, I was driving along and all of a sudden, same thing! SMH!  I still have my SAZ3500D which I have never had a problem with I could put back in but I am worried I have some sort of problem. The only thing I can think of is that either mounting them on the back of the box is somehow shaking something loose, or there is a problem with one of the subs. I am running 2 Sundown SA 12's at a nominal 1ohm (dual 4 ohm coils). Never seen this kind of problem. I do have a SAZ 5000D But I am definitely scared to put it in.  I do not crank the subs loud constantly and I am aware I have them overpowered. For this reason, I run them at maybe 2000-2500 Max when I am pounding. Wiring is good and carefully done and tight. Running proper distribution blocks and double 0 Gauge wire throughout. Doubt this is the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Below are pictures of my old setup but it gives you an idea. Only difference is the capacitor bank and the SAZ is now SCV4000D and the 100.4 is now a 200.4.

Setup:

2010 BMW 750LI

Stock 320 Amp alternator (Set in emergency mode to eliminate battery monitoring so alternator can be active all of the time)

Custom Stock Battery box to support 2 AGM group 95R's instead of 1.

6-3000F bank capacitors.

Mobridge DA-2 optical converter preamp

Sundown SAX 200.4 - Mids and Highs.

Sundowwn SCV4000D -- 2 Sundown SA12's  --  Sundown SAZ3500D (originally)

WP_20180710_09_51_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20180710_09_51_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20180710_09_51_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20190926_14_08_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20190926_14_08_07_Pro.jpg

WP_20190926_14_08_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20190926_14_07_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20190927_14_52_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20190926_14_08_34_Pro.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What’s your voltage drop , not sure your electrical is good enough and if it dips low enough it will cause your amp to get hot and burn up. I could be 100% wrong but just throwing out some thoughts. Also why isn’t your fuse blowing .

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Voltage is very strong. Voltage hovers between 14.4 and 14.2. Never drops below 14 with this power setup. interior lights stay bright even when pounding. Between the agm's and the cap bank, the is more than enough reserve. The alternator is very strong as well. I had a similar setup in an older BMW 7 series and had 0 problems and that one I was running just 1 battery and only 20F capacitance. Never had lights dim. The tell is usually the interior light, not necessarily the headlights due to them being xenon and run on ac voltage.  I doubt it's a power problem. I really think there is something wrong with one of the coils in one of the subs. it's going to be hard to get a resistance test if this is an intermittent problem and only occurs when subs are  moving. The weird part is that when the amps blow, the music isn't even loud, it's just playing at a comfortable level.  I am baffled.

i see your amp is secured to the box is the box secured to the vehicle somehow? or are you using the paperweight method (i am guilty of this)

Also that raptor cap i believe maybe more of a damper on things there is only so many capacitors that actually work.

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

1) you're feeding  your distribution blocks with a single run of 1/0 and you're running 2 very big Amps.

Those amps usually should have dual input adapters feeding thier single inputs

Top that off with stock alt and a huge cap. You're killing that cars electrical.

Sill don’t see any fuses witch should blow before the amp if it is a voltage issue. 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

why does your cap say 11.9 volts shouldn't be reading that with the car off even after heavy playing it still should be no lower then 12.5 or so without music playing  if it stays that way a battery could be bad or both

are you sure the stock alt is 320 amps? 

Archived