Sundown Audio

Digital design M1D

Dd6101992

I just got a brand new DD M1D pushing 2 610’s redlines. My gain on the amp is set almost maxed and my friend has a M1D and his is only set about 1/4 of the way and it hits harder than mine. Am I doing something wrong? I have the correct 1 ohm from the subs. I got 14.1 voltage. I’m using a 4 gauge wire with 100a fuse. Do I need to go 0 and 150a fuse? Any input would help thanks 

0DC1416C-3F2A-45CB-B776-DCED1C0A08D1.jpeg

62DC4B5F-D2EB-4286-91E1-1CC432F239BC.jpeg

45B86DDB-D303-4AB8-8EE8-B2D23825D868.jpeg

Unless your friend with the same amp has the same vehicle, headunit, subs, box, etc as you do you cant really compare one being louder than the other.

That being said that amp has 1/0 gauge inputs for a reason.
4 gauge wire has its limits on how much amperage it can handle safely.
That amp can pull 170 amps of current, and if your power wire is longer than 7 feet or so then you're exceeding the limit of the power wire. This goes of OFC wire, if you're using CCA wire then it handles even less amperage at the same length.
When you running smaller gauge wire than the amp needs it is possible for the wire to heat up. The wire will also have greater resistance from the front to the back which can result in voltage drop and less power out of the amp.

Are you absolutely positive you have the both voice coils on both subs wired in parallel and both subs wired together in parallel? I dont know how many times people say they got things wired right but then they wire things in series instead which increases the ohm load.
What radio are you using? Does it have a subwoofer volume option in the settings and is that option turned up?

Where is your subsonic filter set on the amp?

23 minutes ago, audiofanaticz said:

Unless your friend with the same amp has the same vehicle, headunit, subs, box, etc as you do you cant really compare one being louder than the other.

That being said that amp has 1/0 gauge inputs for a reason.
4 gauge wire has its limits on how much amperage it can handle safely.
That amp can pull 170 amps of current, and if your power wire is longer than 7 feet or so then you're exceeding the limit of the power wire. This goes of OFC wire, if you're using CCA wire then it handles even less amperage at the same length.
When you running smaller gauge wire than the amp needs it is possible for the wire to heat up. The wire will also have greater resistance from the front to the back which can result in voltage drop and less power out of the amp.

Are you absolutely positive you have the both voice coils on both subs wired in parallel and both subs wired together in parallel? I dont know how many times people say they got things wired right but then they wire things in series instead which increases the ohm load.
What radio are you using? Does it have a subwoofer volume option in the settings and is that option turned up?

Where is your subsonic filter set on the amp?

Yes I’m sure it’s wired right I check multiple times before I put it in in cause I have to remove my seats. I just orders 20ft of OFC 0 gauge wire today with a 250 fuse. No he’s running 4 DD 608’s. I just checked the voltage on the output of the head unit and it’s .2v and the M1D max gain is .2v so I’m guessing that’s why it’s so high? But I do have a DDX396 excelon with a 5v output. I have my subsonic at 28 and my lpf at 80. 

1 hour ago, bmwking said:

i guarantee if you switch to that excelon and leave everything else the same you will hear a very audible difference.  higher voltage RCA outputs make a a world of difference

I do have a excelon. Or you saying I should switch to a different brand? 

It looks like the Kenwood DDX396 has 6 volt preouts. If you measured it and only got 0.2 volts there is something else going on.
Search your manual how to turn up the subwoofer volume, its usually in the crossover menu someplace but Im not familiar with that exact radio. If its turned down you will never get full voltage out of your subwoofer preouts.

What did you use to set the subsonic? because to me it looks like its around 35+hz or so. The thing is without something like a SMD CC-1 you really have no idea where you set it and are just pretty much guessing and the slightest movement can make a huge difference.

If both of those are good check your RCA cables to make sure they are not bad, sometimes most of the time cheaper cables have a lot of resistance in them which makes your voltage from the deck very low by the time it reaches your amp. Some cheap cables dont even have wires soldered on the ends but just a crappy loose crimp.
Here is an example of just how bad cheap RCA cables resistance can be. The shorter cable in the video should logically have the lesser resistance than the cables that are way longer, however the short cable is a cheap rca cable and has the most resistance!
It took me a minute to find this live video I made years ago.

3 hours ago, bmwking said:

oh no sorry i misread it, yeah you should have much higher voltage at your amp rca inputs than 0.2v, follow audiofanaticz advice

Okay I got a better meter. It’s .8 at full volume playing 40hz with the sub level at +10. 

12 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

It looks like the Kenwood DDX396 has 6 volt preouts. If you measured it and only got 0.2 volts there is something else going on.
Search your manual how to turn up the subwoofer volume, its usually in the crossover menu someplace but Im not familiar with that exact radio. If its turned down you will never get full voltage out of your subwoofer preouts.

What did you use to set the subsonic? because to me it looks like its around 35+hz or so. The thing is without something like a SMD CC-1 you really have no idea where you set it and are just pretty much guessing and the slightest movement can make a huge difference.

If both of those are good check your RCA cables to make sure they are not bad, sometimes most of the time cheaper cables have a lot of resistance in them which makes your voltage from the deck very low by the time it reaches your amp. Some cheap cables dont even have wires soldered on the ends but just a crappy loose crimp.
Here is an example of just how bad cheap RCA cables resistance can be. The shorter cable in the video should logically have the lesser resistance than the cables that are way longer, however the short cable is a cheap rca cable and has the most resistance!
It took me a minute to find this live video I made years ago.

I got brand new rca today. Some stinger. The 2nd best ones. I check behind the head unit at the outputs and got .8 with the volume maxed out and Sub level at +10. The subsonic is at 30 and lpf is at 80

Archived