Sonic Electronix

I’ve got an unusual one for you.  I put a system in this MK4 tdi jetta. Its a taramps 6500hd amp.  Here’s the deal.  If the gain is turned all the way down it seems OK but there’s really no bass.  As you start to turn the gain up to try to match it with the rest of the radio there is a continuous rumbling sound that never stops.  Even if you disconnect the RCAs it continues to do this.  I have tried changing the ground location to a new location.  Also if I were to turn the amp all the way up it’ll immediately freak out flashing protect lights and everything.   I am running a Solid copper 0/2 power n 0/4 ground.  So I know the wiring should be good enough.  I wasn’t sure if maybe this was a common problem with these amps Or  if there’s another underlying cause it does not matter if the vehicle is running or not it’s still does it.  I’m hoping somebody might have some idea here. 

12 hours ago, afk said:

Also if I were to turn the amp all the way up it’ll immediately freak out flashing protect lights and everything.   

Please tell me you didn't use the gain knob as a volume knob... 

No the gain is not a volume button.  If it is turned up even the slightest bit from completely down it starts doing this.  I do not think my radio has a very high voltage preamp output  Jvc 820bt. As for wire size 0/2 power 0/4 ground. Solid copper. 

Also judging by the amp and the deck you're running I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that maybe your electrical isn't up to par to handle that amp and maybe you murdered your alternator

Elaborate on your electrical to support the 6500 watt amp cuz you need at least a few batteries and a nice alternator

oddly enough the wire fits just barely.  Solid copper connections are a little bit different than twisted frayed wire you know what I mean?  Like I don’t think it’s really true to its size.  You literally need bolt cutters to cut this line.  I’ve got 1000 amp battery running this Im a diesel 160amp alt.   Yeah I know it doesn’t seem like quite enough to run the amp but I can’t understand why I would make such a horrible noise My voltage actually does not drop below 12.1.  Unless it’s really cranked up then I’ve seen the occasional 11.8 But rarely..  I do believe what I’m hearing is a ground noise as well I have not had the time to deal with the big three but I’m trying to get that done over the weekend here to see if that corrects the problem I have some OFC 2/0 gauge to run for that.  I just find it a bit unusual and wasn’t sure if there was maybe a reasoning that I may have been missing. Like I said I’m not trying to waste anybody’s time or anything I’m just trying to gather if it’s possible the wiring needs upgraded to the battery and the ground and what not or if it’s some other reasoning like maybe the amp just makes noise I didn’t know if anybody was familiar with that particular ramp and could give me some insight.  Also Vagcom is my alt perfectly fine.  I’m looking into a 320 amp Tho.  I’m very appreciative to the responses.  Amp never gets hot and the hcca is definitely not clipping or anything. 

Archived