Ok to use a higher amp fuse inline?

lildragon45

Hi so I just picked up a Rockford Fosgate Prime R400-4D. Its 4 x 75 @ 4 ohms Class D. So they recommend having a 40A inline fuse. Would it be ok to run say a 60A or 100A instead? Pros and cons please. Also this what I have readily available at home. But if I should stick to the 40A then I will. Any input will help thanks. 

Fuses are made to blow before the amp blows and possibly burns your car down , use what the manufacturers recommend . Also if your fuse is to high for the wire your using it will burn up and not pop the fuse.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2020 at 9:43 PM, lildragon45 said:

Hi so I just picked up a Rockford Fosgate Prime R400-4D. Its 4 x 75 @ 4 ohms Class D. So they recommend having a 40A inline fuse. Would it be ok to run say a 60A or 100A instead? Pros and cons please. Also this what I have readily available at home. But if I should stick to the 40A then I will. Any input will help thanks. 

No absolutely no. The online fuse is a fire protection. If you replace it with a higher amp fuse and the power wire grounds out it will not break before damage is done to your power wires or  worse a fire. Changing to a larger fuse is not going to change the performance of the amp. If you want better performance by feeding more power, look into things like big 3 upgrade or more effective active cooling setups.

Archived