A capacitor or a small lithium battery ?

Okay, here shortly I am going to be upgrading to a 320 amp alternator, and a relatively strong (for only $170) AGM battery. That in itself will probably be more than enough for my modest 3Kw system.

However, just because I can.... And maybe for future expansion of my system, I'm thinking about either, 1) a nice, strong 5 farad capacitor, or 2) a small lithium... Either of these would be in the cab, close to my amps. 

And btw, I'm not only looking at which of these options would work best, but also, the PITA of installing, the potential for problems, and of course always, the cost.

BTW, I'm positive this alternator and battery will make plenty of constant power as it is. The cap or small lithium is only to increase my potential for quick release of juice, for kick drums and such.

What would you / have you done for this ???

5 farad cap ain’t going to do jack shit lol.  Minimum 500 farads.

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

10 hours ago, Dragonsyph said:

5 farad cap ain’t going to do jack shit lol.  Minimum 500 farads.

Honestly, if I saw a 500 farad capacitor, I'd feel like that was comparable to a 10,000 wt Pyramid amplifier.

My research shows that with legit capacitors, its good to have 1 farad per 1000 wts of amplifier power. 

5 hours ago, ToNasty said:

False.  It all depends on the type 

Well that, but also I think it would matter what your trying to accomplish. Like I say, I think I will have plenty of "storage capacity", I just want to be able to provide bigger, more instantaneous bursts of juice, for kick drums and such.

16 hours ago, fishchris1 said:

Honestly, if I saw a 500 farad capacitor, I'd feel like that was comparable to a 10,000 wt Pyramid amplifier.

My research shows that with legit capacitors, its good to have 1 farad per 1000 wts of amplifier power. 

Those 1 farad / 5 farad capacitors were used as voltage stiffeners and would not hold up to current day performance. My advice is to stick with a high output alternator and solid AGMs that amount to around 100-150 ah. The only good capacitors now-a-days are the ones that are DIY or assembled banks built from single cells that rest at say 2.7v each with 3000 uF that when put into a bank to reach 14.4 become 3000/6 = 500 uF. 

Archived