Isolator/Solenoid for separating Lithium rear from AGM started?

Hey guys just a couple questions about running lithium with a dedicated starter battery.

I have a Mechman 240 A with a d5100r up front. I will be removing my rear d3400 and replacing it with a titan 8 RSV s5 that will rest a bit higher than the agm (13+ probably) 

In an effort to reduce strain on the alternator or batteries I was wondering what I should do to separate the lithium from the agm in order to let each rest at its natural state 12.6-13 and 13+ respectively

I’ve heard talk of using an isolator or solenoid to separate but have also seen alternator manufacturers say they will overheat an alternator. 

Just looking for some advice to keep my system safe and well maintained. Any help is appreciated!

Would love your input @MECHMAN if you have anything to say!

how much power are you planning on running?

if you're just sticking with the setup in your signature, you can completely eliminate all the agm in your system and run just the lithium under the hood (providing you get word from XS that it's suitable for under hood temps)

also, don't get the RSV-S5.  get the PWR-S5.  the PWR is much better suited to audio demands.  RSV would be great for electric vehicles (go-carts) or mobile homes as it isnt designed to have a very high burst output.

as for the isolators, they aren't 100% the best idea, but they can work, provided you find one that matches your max amperage output from the back, ie if you're pulling 300 amps, get a 300+ amp isolator.  

I'd ask XS whether or not you can run agm and the titan8s together, but they rate the S5 batteries @ 12V, if they are truly resting @ 13V i honestly wouldn't worry about using both the lithium and your under hood agm on the same circuit w/o an isolator.  the agm will be a draw (of about 0.5V) but as soon as your alt starts charging it's going to kick the lithium back up to it's highest charge capacity.  basically the agm isn't going to kill your lithium or vice versa.  it's not going to degrade the lithiums life expectancy either, it sees the agm as something that needs juice, it feeds it, then when the agm is resting, the lithium rests, and waits for the next recharge.

41 minutes ago, bmwking said:

how much power are you planning on running?

if you're just sticking with the setup in your signature, you can completely eliminate all the agm in your system and run just the lithium under the hood (providing you get word from XS that it's suitable for under hood temps)

also, don't get the RSV-S5.  get the PWR-S5.  the PWR is much better suited to audio demands.  RSV would be great for electric vehicles (go-carts) or mobile homes as it isnt designed to have a very high burst output.

as for the isolators, they aren't 100% the best idea, but they can work, provided you find one that matches your max amperage output from the back, ie if you're pulling 300 amps, get a 300+ amp isolator.  

I'd ask XS whether or not you can run agm and the titan8s together, but they rate the S5 batteries @ 12V, if they are truly resting @ 13V i honestly wouldn't worry about using both the lithium and your under hood agm on the same circuit w/o an isolator.  the agm will be a draw (of about 0.5V) but as soon as your alt starts charging it's going to kick the lithium back up to it's highest charge capacity.  basically the agm isn't going to kill your lithium or vice versa.  it's not going to degrade the lithiums life expectancy either, it sees the agm as something that needs juice, it feeds it, then when the agm is resting, the lithium rests, and waits for the next recharge.

I'll be running two DC 2ks along with the same p600x4 mids amp. 

My methodology behind the RSV instead of the PWR series was that I already have something with high burst output - the XS SB1000-31 or their SuperBanks - so the RSV would help in a daily application more so than just the raw power the PWR could deliver. 

From what I understand they are selling it as, and marketing it as a drop in supplement to any 12v system with AGMs already installed. If I were to drop all AGMs and run solely the RSV and SB-31 then I would avoid putting it under the hood for my own sanity. Lithium in a hot place, in a hot climate, seems like a terrible idea regardless of ratings. A simple battery delete would tie the oem system into the rear  just without a front battery. 

Just now, Joshdashef said:

I'll be running two DC 2ks along with the same p600x4 mids amp. 

My methodology behind the RSV instead of the PWR series was that I already have something with high burst output - the XS SB1000-31 or their SuperBanks - so the RSV would help in a daily application more so than just the raw power the PWR could deliver. 

From what I understand they are selling it as, and marketing it as a drop in supplement to any 12v system with AGMs already installed. If I were to drop all AGMs and run solely the RSV and SB-31 then I would avoid putting it under the hood for my own sanity. Lithium in a hot place, in a hot climate, seems like a terrible idea regardless of ratings. A simple battery delete would tie the oem system into the rear  just without a front battery. 

ah yeah i failed to notice you're in florida, good call on just doing a battery delete.

i would get in contact ith their customer service and make sure you have the right idea about the differences between the RSV vs the PWR, just to make double sure.

and if they're saying you can drop it in to supplement an agm, i wouldn't worry about removing any of your AGMs if you don't want to.  

Archived