Second Skin Audio

Sundown NSv4 15 or 2x Sundown Zv5 12 O_o

image91

Edit: Good day all, can't fit the originally planned 2x Sundown Xv2 15s. Trying to decide between a single Nightshade 15 or two Z 12s.

There are pros & cons as always. Both enclosures will fit the vehicle, the NSv4 15 more comfortably (5.0 ft^3 net, 80 in^2 port area vs 4.25 ft^3 net vs 68 in^2 port area). The weight factor is 200 lbs vs 50 lbs, 12s vs 15. Cone-area-wise, the 12s should move more air. FS on Zv5 12 is 33 Hz. Don't know the FS on the softer kit on the NSv4 15 as they have specs up for the spl kit I assume at 35 Hz.

Looking to tune to around 30 Hz. Running on a Deaf Bonce Apocalypse AAK-5500.1. Will be requesting the non-spl kit on NSv4.

Does anyone have experience with both these subs & can give me some insight? I have used the Xv2 15 before but have never heard The Z or NS series.

How do they play tonally? & do they both handle the low end well? Want to play down to 28 comfortably.

Thanks!!

Original post: Has anyone ever run these woofers in a smaller than recommended specifications enclosure? I currently have around 41.5 x 17 x 24 to work with. Getting these on a sale & wondering if I will encounter any issues running them in a smaller enclosure.

Looking at a mono-chamber tuning around 30 Hz. Running around 2500w+ to each.

May be able to add 1 ft^3 to enclosure if i custom build an addition to the volume in the space behind the back seat as it is a wagon & the back seat is at an angle. Also may be able to go up in volume by an inch but that would be over the seat height. What's the most compact I can go without sacrificing too much? O_o

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But before we get into all that yes you're going to have a compromise if you stick him in an enclosure that's too small those are pretty big subs and they need  to breathe so sticking them smaller is going to obviously decrease output I would definitely go to custom box that's going to fit they give you the proper air space but using whatever you have for the time being is it going to be horrible it just not going to be everything they can do

Not going to get near the recommended volume in a comfortable manner. Tried fitting volume everywhere I could think of & it was still too small.

Considering just waiting til NsV4 15s come back in stock & take one. Won't move more air than the two Xv2 15s but it should do well for a single 15.

Apart from that, my other option was two Zv5 12s.

Pretty sure they are coming out the the NSV5 soon and not sure if they will restock the NSV4. 

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

Hmm, is that confirmed bro? Didn't hear/see anything O_o

Was being allowed to place an order from my local dealer. Wondering if I should hold or go ahead, especially with the corona situation.

Btw, how's the NSv4 18 going? Do you have any links to vids? = )

10 hours ago, image91 said:

Hmm, is that confirmed bro? Didn't hear/see anything O_o

Was being allowed to place an order from my local dealer. Wondering if I should hold or go ahead, especially with the corona situation.

Btw, how's the NSv4 18 going? Do you have any links to vids? = )

Can't say for sure, i just remember one of there facebook posts talking about it. I do know though that the NSV5 is in the works, not sure when its release date is though.   

That orion amp blew up from just idling with no power to the sub going lol,  i ordered a Salt 4 amp, should be here with in a week or two. 

Had to be something in the amp because all of my other amps have been working just fine on same electrical.  

While i had it going the NSV4 pounded like a mad man for sure.  It can take double the wattage easy if clean power.  Cant wait to get the Salt 4 hooked up which puts out around 6k watts.  Should pound like crazy.  And that new b knob it comes with has Volt meter, clip light, and thermal light etc.  Pretty bad ass. 

I would go with more cone area (two 12s) but if you cant get a box big enough in there then its a waste.  If you can get a box for the 15 thats to spec or close then i would probably pick the NSV4 15" and put around 5-6k watts into it. 

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

NSv4s have been the best subs I’ve owned....I have 2 18s in a 6th order with almost 2 years of taking a beating....what each one is seeingspacer.png

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

Archived