Beating a dead horse with dd1 -7.5db

I’ve been messing around with different gain settings on my zv5 using the dd1 great tool just wish it had a -7.5 dB overlap setting, and I know snowdrifter has a Dropbox for it I just don’t have a computer to rip it from and it won’t let me from the app on my phone. Besides the point -5db is not enough -10 it’s solid for most but clips on certain songs. And yes I could just turn the volume down or the knob when on certain songs. 

my question is can I mark -5db and mark -10db on my amp and just put it half way in between -5 and -10 for -7.5? May be a stupid question but I can’t seem to find the answer I’m looking for searching for hours 

I don't see why not, but as you know those adjustments are very sensitive, just pressure from the small flathead used to set gain can increase voltage to distortion point when close.

What I would do, to be precise and accurate is set at -5 with dd-1, tten stick a volt meter in there to measure voltage, then do the same with -10, measure voltage after setting -10 now take the difference of the 2 voltage readings and divide it. Put the - 10 track in and set the voltage that you come up with when you divided the difference between vtge 2

So here example

-5 setting gave voltage of 50

-10 gave voltage of 70

Difference of the 2 is 20.

Halve that, and you get 10

So your negative -7.5 db will be voltage of 60 using the -10bd track.

You'll need a digital multimeter for this. 

I personally use amps that are guaranteed to do RMS and then some, such as RF t series amps and I use Amps that put out more than subs call for , So just dial in my voltage with a -5 track 40db at subs max RMS needed.

I know I could extract much more power with a dd1, and not have to overshoot so grossly with amp size in regards to subs, but I like not running my amps to thier max anyway. Keeps them nice and cool, and could literally play the system for probably 24 hours str8

Yeah that makes sense, could be in the middle visually but may be +or- 4-5 volts could make a difference. I mean you make a valid point due the fact I’m running a 2k rms zv5 with a skar 2k. If I run at -10db Close to full tilt for a while the amp runs hot. Even had to add 3 80mm fans to cool them. Granted it’s under the back seat of a Tahoe where airflow isn’t the greatest. 

I would like to change a 3k to allow some headroom so it’s not running at its max potential.