Sonic Electronix

Okay, so let's say you could have one of these options, or the other... But not both.... 

1) unlimited battery storage... Like say, 300 amp hours of top quality lithium..... (Along with only a stock alternator that puts out, let's just say, 120 amps....

Or, 2) four 390 amp Mechman alternators.... And "only" a decent cranking battery that runs the whole vehicle plus the stereo system...

Which setup do you feel would be more useable, and cause less issues ? In other words, running off of a huge alternator setup... Or off of a huge reserve of stored power ?

Knowing more about applied amplifier setup would help ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Who cares about the amplifier setup, 300ah of lithium is a lot and seeing what can be done with 1/3 that speaks volumes...

I thought the alt way was the way to go as well, and sadly with no reserve you have massive voltage drop I have three DC Power 390XP alternators (1170 amps of current) and until I added agm reserve the struggle was real with only 2 5k amps.
I was always put into an Extreme competition class because I had 3 alts because the rule was alts max for Super Street, even though Super Street allowed unlimited batteries and a max voltage of 18volts. I was told the 1 additional alternator gave me an advantage. So I was stuck competing with my daily driven and only vehicle that had a four 15 box in the cargo area, all interior, stock glass, etc against vehicles that had concrete floors, 3 inch thick windshields and side windows, ceilings that where built down, dashes that got built up, and steel reinforcements all over. These vehicles could barely move under their own power and were far from road legal and always trailered but if I wanted to compete thats what my only option was all because I had 3 alternators instead of 2.

The thing about alternators is they only put out massive amperage when they sense the load, and that sense isnt instant and takes a moment.
Another con to the alternator setup is even when the demand for power is present they will never put out full power unless your spinning them at 2000ish engine rpm constantly anything else less there will be a huge dip in performance.
Also when you get into these multiple alt setups, or even rather large single ones you can figure each alt will rob the engine of roughly 20hp which adds up quick. So lets take a common vehicle that a lot do big installs and alt setups in such as the Tahoe with the 5.7l vortec which is 255hp now but after you subtract that 80hp from alternator load your left with a 175hp vehicle that weights in at 8,500lbs.
You literately have an army tank that dont move anywhere too fast... 
Yet we can't forget to add in the additional fuel that will be spent spinning those alternator when they are taxing your engine!

i always run my stuff at what id expect at 12v tis why i look for amps that have 12v ratings and can be ok dipping below that  and  usually run my stuff car off so me personally i would do the batts if it was one or the other

1 hour ago, audiofanaticz said:

Who cares about the amplifier setup, 300ah of lithium is a lot and seeing what can be done with 1/3 that speaks volumes...

I thought the alt way was the way to go as well, and sadly with no reserve you have massive voltage drop I have three DC Power 390XP alternators (1170 amps of current) and until I added agm reserve the struggle was real with only 2 5k amps.
I was always put into an Extreme competition class because I had 3 alts because the rule was alts max for Super Street, even though Super Street allowed unlimited batteries and a max voltage of 18volts. I was told the 1 additional alternator gave me an advantage. So I was stuck competing with my daily driven and only vehicle that had a four 15 box in the cargo area, all interior, stock glass, etc against vehicles that had concrete floors, 3 inch thick windshields and side windows, ceilings that where built down, dashes that got built up, and steel reinforcements all over. These vehicles could barely move under their own power and were far from road legal and always trailered but if I wanted to compete thats what my only option was all because I had 3 alternators instead of 2.

The thing about alternators is they only put out massive amperage when they sense the load, and that sense isnt instant and takes a moment.
Another con to the alternator setup is even when the demand for power is present they will never put out full power unless your spinning them at 2000ish engine rpm constantly anything else less there will be a huge dip in performance.
Also when you get into these multiple alt setups, or even rather large single ones you can figure each alt will rob the engine of roughly 20hp which adds up quick. So lets take a common vehicle that a lot do big installs and alt setups in such as the Tahoe with the 5.7l vortec which is 255hp now but after you subtract that 80hp from alternator load your left with a 175hp vehicle that weights in at 8,500lbs.
You literately have an army tank that dont move anywhere too fast... 
Yet we can't forget to add in the additional fuel that will be spent spinning those alternator when they are taxing your engine!

First off, thanks to all. When I first posted this, I thought I might get slammed for it being a stupid question... But now I'm glad I asked.

Audiofanaticz, great response, from someone who has been all through it ! Wow ! Makes me really think twice. 

Hmmmm.... Their is a part of me that feel like maybe I'd be better off with a 250 amp alt, and 3 Batts (1 cranking + 2 additional for the stereo system)...

But then again, even my stock 130 amp alt and one cheap azz battery is "so close" to actually keeping up, I'm sure that going with the 320 amp alt, and one big strong battery is going to keep me at 14.4 all day long. Oh, I'm currently only running two amps for around 3Kwts, but as I say, I was also doing this for future expansion. I'd love to strap another Wolfram 2400.1 for an easy 5K 😉

Anyway, thanks again for that valuable inputs !

☮️

Archived