Sonic Electronix

Would there be any obvious problem in wiring a whole bunch of tweeters together as to create what is effectively a larger driver with the sound accuracy of a tweeter? Set the crossover to maybe 100hz if I used enough of them, then did the same for a bunch of 6.5's or 4" speakers to use for bass, equalizing as neccessary ofc.

Thinking about trying this but I can't find anything related online so maybe there's something I'm missing that makes it a stupid idea..

It won't work, frequency response of most mids gets as low as 63hz or lower.

Tweeters stop at around 2k at the lowest.

Here's a little example

50 hz at 50 watts a voice coil moved 15mm peak to peak to reproduce the frequency, 2500hz @ 50 watts the coil moves 1mm or less to reproduce frequency.

Tweeters aren't physically capable of making bass

17 hours ago, AaronT said:

It won't work, frequency response of most mids gets as low as 63hz or lower.

Tweeters stop at around 2k at the lowest.

Here's a little example

50 hz at 50 watts a voice coil moved 15mm peak to peak to reproduce the frequency, 2500hz @ 50 watts the coil moves 1mm or less to reproduce frequency.

Tweeters aren't physically capable of making bass

but say that your woofer with a 15 mm p2p was the same size as a tweeter in cone area, i'd be planning on using 15 tweeters with 1mm p2p instead to get my sound volume back up. 

Because tweeters don't even move even 1mm.

They will not produce frequency that low

You asked "is there something I'm missing that makes this a dumb idea"

Yes there is, I've explained it above. Also it's dumb because there are already driver that are made to play these frequency in existence that can be had cheap. That alone makes this endeavor absolutely futile and childishly dumb

On 3/27/2020 at 3:53 AM, AaronT said:

Because tweeters don't even move even 1mm.

They will not produce frequency that low

You asked "is there something I'm missing that makes this a dumb idea"

Yes there is, I've explained it above. Also it's dumb because there are already driver that are made to play these frequency in existence that can be had cheap. That alone makes this endeavor absolutely futile and childishly dumb

But if I asked you which you would expect to output more between and 18" sub and 20 6.5" ones you'd agree that it would be the 6.5's right?

cone area is only somewhat applicable is you are talking about drivers designed to reproduce the same frequencies. You won't even see similar output if you compare a 6.5" midrange to a 6.5" subwoofer, the drivers are simply designed to do 2 different things. I'm also not sure why you think a tweeter is more or less accurate than large drivers. 

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

51 minutes ago, MrSkippyJ said:

cone area is only somewhat applicable is you are talking about drivers designed to reproduce the same frequencies. You won't even see similar output if you compare a 6.5" midrange to a 6.5" subwoofer, the drivers are simply designed to do 2 different things. I'm also not sure why you think a tweeter is more or less accurate than large drivers. 

This is the same guy who was going on about his mtx 5" bookshelf speakers making best bass sound in the world, remember them posts about 2 months ago?

Archived