Second Skin Audio

Need a sub in my Jeep wrangler

Douglas44

Needs some help!  Want to put some thump in my 4 door Jeep Wrangler and not sure what would work the best.  Had subs  In my ride when I was in my 20s and now I’m in my 40s and want to bring that feeling back.  I want  a system I can hear and feel but I’m not looking to blow my windshield out or anything crazy, but I do want something that will get the job done even with the top off.  Will a couple 10s or single 12 work?  Want something that sounds good and that will last, any help would be appreciated.

I did a single skar VD 8 in my buddies 4 door wrangler. Used the stock sub box and made another baffle to get some more mounting depth. He was pretty happy with it. Filled in the low bass good and you could feel it a little. Sounded really good with the top on, just good enough with the top off.

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

How are you recommend a 400 watt shallow mount cheaply made subwoofer? That’s horrible advice and you should be ashamed of yourself. He said he wants to get the job done. 400 watts isn’t gonna get the job done, especially with cheap poorly made Chinese builds. I recommend a fi Q to him on a taramps md 1800. That might be a little too much for his taste. Idk. If so, here goes something more adequate for the size of that vehicle. I didn’t know it was a Jeep Wrangler. Hold up. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Subwoofer

https://www.google.com/amp/s/store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/amp/icon-12-1250w-subwoofer-by-ssa/

Amp

https://www.amazon.com/Taramps-MD12001-Tara-1200-Midbass/dp/B074KQP62F

$450 for the set up without enclosure and wiring. Get a custom built enclosure at a car audio shop. I needed the info you submitted above to finally come to the conclusion of what system would do and do it with quality and longevity. 

So the sky is the limit when it comes to car audio. There are numerous manufacturers of varying quality, price, and design (many of which just copy one another). Just go with who you trust, and know that you get what you pay for.

Determine what amount of space you want to take up in your vehicle. This will help establish what size, or how many woofers you want to use. Have a budget in mind for the complete system and try to stick with it. I always end up spending more! Remember to factor into your budget - wires, RCAs, fuses ect. 

If you're using the factory speakers, you may want to keep the bass output to around 500-1000 watts, which is more than enough to feel some bump. A single 12" or dual 10"s would work nicely. Consider the amount of amperage you'll be drawing from your charging system and try to match your bass amp accordingly.

I'm not familiar with the rear seats of a Jeep, but if you could fit a sub enclosure under there (not unlike a truck), it may help to keep the bass inside the cabin and protect the subs from the elements if your top down a lot.  

I hope that helps. Hopefully I'm not telling you what you already know. 

On 3/28/2020 at 11:41 PM, 121gigawatts said:

How are you recommend a 400 watt shallow mount cheaply made subwoofer? That’s horrible advice and you should be ashamed of yourself. He said he wants to get the job done. 400 watts isn’t gonna get the job done, especially with cheap poorly made Chinese builds. I recommend a fi Q to him on a taramps md 1800. That might be a little too much for his taste. Idk. If so, here goes something more adequate for the size of that vehicle. I didn’t know it was a Jeep Wrangler. Hold up. 

Well my buddy who's in his 40s and just wanted enough is very happy. And it's been going strong for 2 years. It's not like I recommended boss or anything. 

Have you ever used a skar VD8? I have used the 8 and the 15 and both of them a a few years old now with no problems. 

I'm guessing your just buying into the skar hatred you have read and dont have a clue.

Me personally, the owner called me for both of my orders to let me know they were shipped and helped me with custom box specs. Sounds like good service to me...

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

You have no idea what kind of snake stuff Kevin (founder and owner of Skar Audio) has done. He slowed down snaking people once he became big and didn’t need to snake people for money reasons because he already made millions of dollars snaking so he has a mask on now and does things to now make himself look good and feel good cause he already has the money. So let’s call him a snake that has noble tendencies. He is really smart. That’s the only thing I have any respect for him or his company on is for intelligence. But still, it’s tactics that snakes use. Kinda like the devil. A lot of people are just foolish and can’t see Kevin’s b.s. Lol! Kevin even scammed people on caraudio.com. All them boys will jump down your throat if you even type the “Skar” for recommendation on one of the caraudio.com threads. 

7 hours ago, 121gigawatts said:

You have no idea what kind of snake stuff Kevin (founder and owner of Skar Audio) has done. He slowed down snaking people once he became big and didn’t need to snake people for money reasons because he already made millions of dollars snaking so he has a mask on now and does things to now make himself look good and feel good cause he already has the money. So let’s call him a snake that has noble tendencies. He is really smart. That’s the only thing I have any respect for him or his company on is for intelligence. But still, it’s tactics that snakes use. Kinda like the devil. A lot of people are just foolish and can’t see Kevin’s b.s. Lol! Kevin even scammed people on caraudio.com. All them boys will jump down your throat if you even type the “Skar” for recommendation on one of the caraudio.com threads. 

I think you been drinking a little too much of the koolaid... I know a bunch of the stuff he has been accused of, most have no proof. Not backing the guy or anything. But I have had good luck with the products I have used. Not my go to brand or anything but for something cheap and decent it ain't bad. Hell a bunch of people are still buying their amps left and right.

I'm on Car Audio as well, most of that skar hatred has gone away. But yea it used to be like that a year or 2 ago

Anyways to the OP, we need more info as to what your budget is, how much space you want to give up, and what your goals are.

05 TL build log SOLD

Archived