Sundown Audio

Recommend an Amp

RichSsa

Hello gents I’m a newbie here and in need of help. I just purchased a Ssa icon 12 inch sub dual 2ohm. I’m having trouble deciding on which amplifier to buy to push this sub. Any suggestions? I’m still not sure if I’ll run it at 1ohm or 4 ohms. My budget tops out at $500. 

Running at either 1 or 4 ohm depends on ur electrical. U got a good alt/battery/wiring go 1 ohm cause it's cheaper to get power at 1 ohm, if u don't have solid electric go for an amp that'll give u power u want at one ohm, wire to 4 and start stiffening up electric and then wire to 1 ohm. Don't wanna wire to 1 ohm and low volt the piss outta ur new amp and hurt either sub or amp or both.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

18 minutes ago, ehall8702 said:

Running at either 1 or 4 ohm depends on ur electrical. U got a good alt/battery/wiring go 1 ohm cause it's cheaper to get power at 1 ohm, if u don't have solid electric go for an amp that'll give u power u want at one ohm, wire to 4 and start stiffening up electric and then wire to 1 ohm. Don't wanna wire to 1 ohm and low volt the piss outta ur new amp and hurt either sub or amp or both.

Never really considered the alt and battery. The system is going in my 19 charger scatpack and the alt is 220 amp idk if that’s sufficient or not. The battery although new it’ll lose some juice and I’ll replace it with something better down the road.

I don’t know what would be good with enough watts to run the sub at 4ohm but it’ll probably be to high at 1ohm to run this subwoofer, since it’s only rated at 1250 rms. 

Skar audio makes great amps at great prices. No need to break the bank. Use the extra cash for a batt upgrade.

I’ve read pretty good reviews on those. Do those skars put out clean watts? Idk exactly what that means 🤔  but there’s some reviews where they say they don’t. Sorry for all the questions, I’m just looking to buy once even if it’s a lil bit more money. How about the sk series? 

Why didn't you just buy an SSA Amplifier to go with the SSA Sub ??? Mark and Aaron is very knowledgeable and easy to work with ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

19 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

Why didn't you just buy an SSA Amplifier to go with the SSA Sub ??? Mark and Aaron is very knowledgeable and easy to work with ...

Only options I saw on their website for a SSA amplifier was a 500w 2 channel, 600w 4 channel and a 2200w mono amp. I felt like none of those would work for my application. I tried contacting them with no success. I’m leaning towards a Skar rp1500 amplifier right now. 

Archived