Second Skin Audio

HELP! 2014-2018 Silverado Crew Cab oversized dual 12" sub enclosure build

Well, start by measuring to see if you've got enough square footage under your seat to build the box and not choke out the subs...I don't know the dimensions if a 2017 Silverado, but I doubt I'd be able to get the right square footage in my 2011 even with a 3" seat lift. I can think of 3 scenarios that might help. 1- my current setup in my truck is 4 12" jl audio w6's. I took out my back seat and built a sealed enclosure that had openings for the seat belts. The back of the "seat" is my amp rack. I had the box reupholstered to look like a bench seat with the back able to be pulled off to expose the amp rack (I used to live in a bad area, everything had to be hidden). No one over 5'3" can sit back there, let alone its probably not safe to  do so anyway. 2- my cousin had 2 kicker L7's in his 2001. He faced them up toward the seat and used slot ports up behind the back seat to get the correct area if the box and port. I know, different, way weaker subs, just throwing it things to think about. 3- you can always do like I'm preparing to do now and build the box in your bed and port it into the cab. Exo on YouTube has a great series I watched where he did a blow through in his dad's truck and it actually answered a lot of questions I had about accomplishing the blow through. Hope this helps a little. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. Now I'm tripping because I installed a Taramps smart 3 and for some reason that B keeps hitting protect mode. According to the monitor it is due to low voltage!? Idkwtf!? I have never had this happen but then again I never had 3k watts in a Silverado. Help? I don't really know how to navigate these forums. I know. Special. I took a vacation from everything for almost a decade. Now I am everything illiterate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

1 hour ago, InfamousM222PTB said:

Sorry for the late reply. Now I'm tripping because I installed a Taramps smart 3 and for some reason that B keeps hitting protect mode. According to the monitor it is due to low voltage!? Idkwtf!? I have never had this happen but then again I never had 3k watts in a Silverado. Help? I don't really know how to navigate these forums. I know. Special. I took a vacation from everything for almost a decade. Now I am everything illiterate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

I have a 2011 Silverado, I don't think the 2 years are that much different... anyway... the batteries I have for my current setup are 2 stinger SPP1500DC's. (I'm pushing 4800 watts) I don't know if the battery size between our 2 years differ, that's something I would double check on, but it's a drop in replacement battery for group 34. One of those (or any quality brand of high output batteries should have a direct replacement) and just go to an alternator shop near you and have them rebuild yours to get a little extra out of it. I had mine rebuilt before I got my 370 amp and if I'm not mistaken, they got it up to 220-240 amps... don't quote me on that. But do those 2 things and upgrade your big 3 if you haven't already and I think that might be sufficient for that power... if not, I know a second battery will. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

? have a 2017 and the way my luck has been for the past 1year now I am afraid to do anything other than purchase something at a place that has good return/refund policy.i don't know what the hell I did, who I pissed off but it's bad. I was thinking to just get a cheap budget battery but I I can't a straight experienced answer on brand of battery and size. I'm not opposed to running dual battery setup but I don't know shit about all this. ;:I used to just take my vehicles to a shop back in the day. I do appreciate you trying to help. Thanks

3 hours ago, InfamousM222PTB said:

Do you have a multimeter to get a voltage reading?  What’s the actual voltage going into the amp when it shuts off? 

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 2:21 AM, Dragonsyph said:

Do you have a multimeter to get a voltage reading?  What’s the actual voltage going into the amp when it shuts off? 

sorry to just get back to reply. I appreciate all the help and advice. I can say I don't have a clue but it has to be dropping low enough for the Taramps Smart 3 to enter low voltage protect mode. Here are the Amp specs:

OPERATION CLASSClass D

NUMBER OF CHANNELS01MAXIMUM POWER@ 12.6 VDC - 1 OHM: 3000W RMS
@ 12.6 VDC - 2 OHMS: 3000W RMS
@ 12.6 VDC - 4 OHMS: 2000W RMSINPUT SENSITIVITY0.22V ~ 4VSIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO>90dBFREQUENCY RESPONSE10Hz ~ 10KHz (-3dB)CROSSOVER HIGH PASS (HPF)10Hz ~ 90Hz (-12dB/8ª) VariableCROSSOVER LOW PASS (LPF)90Hz ~ 10KHz (-12dB/8ª) VariableBASS BOOSTFreq.: 35Hz ~ 55Hz
Boost: 0 ~ +10dBEFFICIENCY79%INPUT IMPEDANCE10K OhmsPROTECTION SYSTEMOutput short-circuit, low/high supply voltage and thermal protectionMIN. SUPPLY VOLTAGE9 VDCMAXIMUM POWER SUPPLY VOLTAGE16 VDCCONSUMPTION AT REST2.40 AMAXIMUM MUSIC CONSUMPTION150 AMAXIMUM CONSUMPTION IN SINUSOIDAL SIGNAL300 ADIMENSIONS (H X W X D)8.98" x 2.76" x 9.37"WEIGHT5.72lbEAN7898556845205

On 4/14/2020 at 12:12 AM, Dafaseles said:

I have a 2011 Silverado, I don't think the 2 years are that much different... anyway... the batteries I have for my current setup are 2 stinger SPP1500DC's. (I'm pushing 4800 watts) I don't know if the battery size between our 2 years differ, that's something I would double check on, but it's a drop in replacement battery for group 34. One of those (or any quality brand of high output batteries should have a direct replacement) and just go to an alternator shop near you and have them rebuild yours to get a little extra out of it. I had mine rebuilt before I got my 370 amp and if I'm not mistaken, they got it up to 220-240 amps... don't quote me on that. But do those 2 things and upgrade your big 3 if you haven't already and I think that might be sufficient for that power... if not, I know a second battery will. 

my battery is a group 94R and/or 48. Group 48 fits auxiliary tray. Right now I am on budget constraints due to fkn COVID19 killing my business and my wife got fired from a place she worked at for over 10 years after a new company purchased the business. Fk City Gate Property Group! My wife never been fired in her life nor been written up! It's crazy. So my build is on pause or slow 🐌 pay! If you can please shoot me the specs on your enclosure. I can use the basic dimensions and go from there.

Archived