Sonic Electronix

I currently have:

Big 3 1/0 upgrade

Mechman 170amp 

XsPower D5100

Sundown SFB 3000

2 Sundown U10s wired to 1 ohm 

While driving the lowest ill drop at full tilt is 13.9. When im idling/at a stop light my voltage drops no lower than 12.8. To combat the voltage drop i want to add an additional agm in the back, but im curious if that is even going to help. Feedback and opinions would be greatly appreciated 😊

My knowledge is limited. But I've been doing weeks of researching on this very topic for my own setup.

I'm assuming you know all about alternator draw and that 3k watts by textbook, requires a 300Amp draw.

Now I know music is dynamic so yadda yadda yadda you'll never  see 3k watts.

All that b.s aside...

Technically speaking, if we are going by the book.

NO, your electrical is not enough.

Sure another agm would probably work.

I'd just send the alt back to mechmen and tell them to beef it up 

Edit---- I think the route of your question lies in your battery.

I think what you should really be asking is how do batteries work, because your d5100 only has a 60a/hrs,  but can burst out 3k watts.

I'm not too familiar on how this works, so far my knowledge has told me to only look at amp hours and use that for calculations. 

So if we do that...

Then...

170+60 = 230A.

So your 70A shy of what 3k watts requires. And we havnt even counted in what your vehicle requires without your system.

Personally,  I'd contact mechmen and see if they would beef up your alternator 

Your alt ain’t putting enough out at idle, don’t think another bat will help, could be wrong, 12.8 is fine.   

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

If you are holding 12.8v at idle @ full tilt, I do not think a second battery is going to help as you are already slightly over the resting voltage of your batteries.

Are you sure that your alt is in fact a 170a or is it a 270a? If it is actually just a 170a, you're gonna need to have it upgraded to see a difference in idle voltage.

1 hour ago, max13b2 said:

If you are holding 12.8v at idle @ full tilt, I do not think a second battery is going to help as you are already slightly over the resting voltage of your batteries.

Are you sure that your alt is in fact a 170a or is it a 270a? If it is actually just a 170a, you're gonna need to have it upgraded to see a difference in idle voltage.

I have a 170 amp, its for a 2006 honda civic. I was considering upgrading to the 240 amp but im gonna hold off on that for now and see if the second battery helps at all. 

6 hours ago, Ipoksmote said:

My knowledge is limited. But I've been doing weeks of researching on this very topic for my own setup.

I'm assuming you know all about alternator draw and that 3k watts by textbook, requires a 300Amp draw.

Now I know music is dynamic so yadda yadda yadda you'll never  see 3k watts.

All that b.s aside...

Technically speaking, if we are going by the book.

NO, your electrical is not enough.

Sure another agm would probably work.

I'd just send the alt back to mechmen and tell them to beef it up 

Edit---- I think the route of your question lies in your battery.

I think what you should really be asking is how do batteries work, because your d5100 only has a 60a/hrs,  but can burst out 3k watts.

I'm not too familiar on how this works, so far my knowledge has told me to only look at amp hours and use that for calculations. 

So if we do that...

Then...

170+60 = 230A.

So your 70A shy of what 3k watts requires. And we havnt even counted in what your vehicle requires without your system.

Personally,  I'd contact mechmen and see if they would beef up your alternator 

I might have to hit them up i wasnt aware they did upgrades to alternators. But the battery im planning on putting in the trunk is an xspower XP2500. It has about 100ah which imo would work but idk. 

26 minutes ago, SqSpl_317 said:

I might have to hit them up i wasnt aware they did upgrades to alternators. But the battery im planning on putting in the trunk is an xspower XP2500. It has about 100ah which imo would work but idk. 

I know alot of companies offer exchanges  and will deffinetly work with you.

They might say no, they might say yes. Id deffinetly ask them and find out.

Adding batteries ain't gonna do nothing if your alternator aint cutting it. 

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

Archived