Second Skin Audio

How bad is this?

BMS

So here is what i have going on each box is a single chamber with TWO subs per box. The subs are on one side and the port is on the other far side. So everything  seems completely normal when playing frequencies not around my tuning. the closer i get to my tuning the worse the problem gets. The sub closer to the port moves way more then the one further from it. there is a 3/4 mdf ring on the face of the inside of the box i was hoping this would equal out the loading but it doesn't look like it. The ports are completely external by the way.  so how bad is this exactly? im sure it is bad enough i cant settle for it. Why does it do it i have an idea but maybe someone else explaining why it happens might help me catch something i might not know.

IMG_20200405_131916.jpg

The ports are temporary. i just couldn't wait for my pvc to arrive so i just picked them up screwed them on quick.it doesn't work well at all of course. Why does some of the port need to go in the port need to go in the box? I Mean i know it Isn't a good idea to have your port start on the same plane as your subs that's what the 3/4 mdf ring is for (its on the interior) is that not far enough apart? guess it isn't or i wouldn't have the problem im having i suppose.

Bro........

You actually sound like you know what your doing so this might be redundant..

But you cant take a sealed  box

And put a hole on it and stick PVC piping or duct work and magically turn it into a ported box.

Reason? Air volume. 

Subwoofers usually require a little bit---- to alot more air space when switching to ported. It should say in the subwoofer specifics.

If your seriously trying to customize these prefab boxes then I would start by chopping off some walls and either adding to them and/or connecting them all and adding to them and making 1 big azz Frankenstein box.

4 hours ago, Ipoksmote said:

Bro........

You actually sound like you know what your doing so this might be redundant..

But you cant take a sealed  box

And put a hole on it and stick PVC piping or duct work and magically turn it into a ported box.

Reason? Air volume. 

Subwoofers usually require a little bit---- to alot more air space when switching to ported. It should say in the subwoofer specifics.

If your seriously trying to customize these prefab boxes then I would start by chopping off some walls and either adding to them and/or connecting them all and adding to them and making 1 big azz Frankenstein box.

I'm thinking his logic was like this.

It's a 3 12" box, using only 2 subs, it's 1.26 cube per sub, and the extra 1.26 will give each sub 1.8-1.9 cubes making up for the extra air needed to port.. 

He also removed the divider's to separate each sub. I think the structural integrity of box is way too compromised at this point.

5 minutes ago, AaronT said:

I'm thinking his logic was like this.

It's a 3 12" box, using only 2 subs, it's 1.26 cube per sub, and the extra 1.26 will give each sub 1.8-1.9 cubes making up for the extra air needed to port.. 

He also removed the divider's to separate each sub. I think the structural integrity of box is way too compromised at this point.

Oh sure, I see what he did there! Really mcgivered that one lol.

Any idea why his subwoofers are acting out of phase? (I beleive that's what you call his dilemma)

idk if id say phase i just believe they are unevenly loaded? To my understanding out of phase is an electrical issue where as i believe im experiencing a mechanical issue. but it looks pretty much the same. i think ill just move the ports to the middle and see what happens. since they are temporary i dint glue them. The boxes have bracing there is no spot bigger than 18 ish inces that isn't braced. i know i cheated pretty shamelessly i just didnt want to build my box again it was so hard to move the 16cf box with subs in it. and this box would have been even bigger. Yeah its ac duct work lol when i used the elbow it worked ok it was tuned at around 40 with the elbow and it was much more ridged then the duct i wanted to try it lower so i tried actual duct (shown in the picture) and it was a hilarious fail when i hit resonant frequency. can't wait for my pvc to come in but it is taking a while.

Any subs brand new vs some old and worn in

so the spider moves more freely?

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

Archived