Second Skin Audio

Sub bottoming out?

I have a Fi Audio Alpha 10 in a 0.75Ft^3 sealed box. Recently, while it was playing and I was in the trunk loading some groceries. I noticed an almost metallic sound. So I immediately turned my bass knob down. When i got home, I gave the sub a good firm press and there was no sound, no scratching or anything, perfectly linear. I checked my coil impedance and it was right around 1-1.1 Ohm at the amp. The amp is an Orion 650.1d, and my gains are set with a -10dB tone. during long tones the sound isn't present, and i even did a frequency sweep from 20hz to 100hz and the noise wasn't there. I noticed the sound playing Six 12's by Webbie. Is my sub bottoming out?

What’s the lowest hz that song has?  You playing way below tuning?

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

That’s mechanical noise you hear. You are either pushing that subwoofer past it’s mechanical limits or your clipping. Go turn your gain down. On 5 volt head unit pre outs turn it to 10 o’clock and on 4 volt head unit pre outs turn it to in middle of 11 o’clock and 12 o’clock. Even if you are pushing that sub past it limits, turning the gain down take away from the signal and solve your problem. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

3 hours ago, Dragonsyph said:

What’s the lowest hz that song has?  You playing way below tuning?

Not low at all, around 44hz I believe. 

1 hour ago, 121gigawatts said:

That’s mechanical noise you hear. You are either pushing that subwoofer past it’s mechanical limits or your clipping. Go turn your gain down. On 5 volt head unit pre outs turn it to 10 o’clock and on 4 volt head unit pre outs turn it to in middle of 11 o’clock and 12 o’clock. Even if you are pushing that sub past it limits, turning the gain down take away from the signal and solve your problem. 

I'll go re adjust my gains tomorrow and report back. Thanks!

You’re welcome dude. Make sure you low pass filter (lpf) is at about 80hz as close as you can get it to that number by calculating the smallest number to the left and the biggest number to the right. Don’t worry about the subsonic filter or high pass filter(hpf) if that amp even has a hpf because you don’t touch them with sealed enclosures because they don’t matter because there’s no port frequency to play in. I’ll google that amps images and tell you what o’clock to put it at. And if you tell me make and model number of your head unit I will tell you what o’clock to put your gain. And NEVER USE BASS BOOST! It does nothing but distort and clip your subwoofer(s). So keep bass boost set at ZERO. 

Keep your subsonic switch “off”. Keep bass boost at “0”. Keep low pass at 10 o’clock. Keep phase at “0”. And keep the mode switch on “master”. Once you tell me what kind of head unit you have I can tell you where to set your “level” knob, aka the gain. 

4 hours ago, 121gigawatts said:

Lol what!!!!!!  You can’t set gains that way ... is it mechanical noise possibly but air leaking  sometimes sound like mechanical noise a torn spider or loose surround can sound similar also ...    o.p how did you set your gains to begin with?

2 minutes ago, CstrokerV said:

Lol what!!!!!!  You can’t set gains that way ... is it mechanical noise possibly but air leaking  sometimes sound like mechanical noise a torn spider or loose surround can sound similar also ...    o.p how did you set your gains to begin with?

What do you mean you can’t set you gains like that? I know that amp. Most amps are 0.2-6v input sensitivity and where I said set the dial is where it’s suppose to be for any 0.2-6v input sensitivity gain, which is almost EVERY NEWER AMP. I told him exactly where to set his gains. Don’t confuse him. And if the subwoofer isn’t catching a certain frequency correctly it can make mechanical noise too. I’m telling him EXACTLY where to set his gain and filters to the “T” because like I said, I know the amp model. I didn’t know it was a xtr at first but once I found out it was i knew exactly where and how to set it. I have meters and distortion detectors that tell me exactly what I need to know. Op, just watch these 3 videos and it will teach you all you need to know since I have somebody trying to confuse you cause he thinks he knows what he is talking about. Let’s let these renown professionals show you what I basically did for you without you having to do anything. Watch the videos. 

Archived