Second Skin Audio

Deciding on box type.

slowngreen

I have an '11 single cab Colorado that I can squeeze about a 4.5 cu ft box in (before subs). 

I have 3 Skar shallow 10's and an Audiopipe 1500wrms (I'll be running at 1ohm). Obviously I can go sealed but I've always been a ported guy and wondering what you guys think about porting it instead even though after subs and port it would likely be just over 1 cu ft for each sub?

If I did port, should I just go with a single slot port out the top of the box? 

I've just never gone sealed. The few sealed boxes I've heard in buddies single cabs always sounded muffled.

Those VD-10s spec out at 1.25 cubes each ported, so i'd say its doable but just know if you under space the sub it will need more power to meet the same output as a bigger box would allow since they have to work harder. When you get a chance I would ditch shallow subwoofers altogether since their output is no where near that of a full one, I'd bet two full could beat three shallows any day.

8 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

Those VD-10s spec out at 1.25 cubes each ported, so i'd say its doable but just know if you under space the sub it will need more power to meet the same output as a bigger box would allow since they have to work harder. When you get a chance I would ditch shallow subwoofers altogether since their output is no where near that of a full one, I'd bet two full could beat three shallows any day.

I do still have a window to return two of these subs. 

Their ddx series 10's are 6.10" mounting depth and recommend 1.75-2.0 cu ft ported. Which  I think is doable for two of them instead of the 3 shallows. Likely sound much better wouldn't it?

But if they are not the dual 2 ohm versions and are the dual 4 ohm versions then send 1 back and you can achieve 1 ohm with the 2 vd d4 10s. If you count in sub displacement and port displacement that enclosure for them 3 10s might exceed 4.5 cubic feet. So if the subwoofer calls for 1.25 cu. ft. then you have to add in the subwoofer displacement which is probably .15 cu. ft. So add that to 1.25 equaling 1.4 and multiply that by 3 equaling 3.2 and add about .2 for bracing equaling 3.4. You might be able to squeeze it in 4.5 cu ft after port displacement. And do Subs and port on the top or subs up and port side. So out of the 2 options you are debating, you might wanna just go ahead and run 2 ddx dual 4ohm 10s so you know it will fit after sub and port displacement. Plus you can get 2 dual 4ohm ddx’s and wire to 1 ohm instead of 1.3 ohms or whatever you have. And Just cause a enclosure you look at say 3.5 cubic feet or whatever doesn’t mean the gross volume of the enclosure is the same. Companies advertise the net volume of a subwoofer enclosure. Meaning they negate the port volume/displacement. So really that 3.5 cubic foot net volume enclosure is like 4.75 cubic feet gross volume. 312E8182-F968-4727-A98B-22611CDB2A8B.thumb.jpeg.a315890018e06ec8fe68f08f75774d1f.jpeg

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

46 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

Thought I'd update my info....I ended up going with 2-Skar SVR 10's. Tuned with 2 3" pvc ports at 38hz. After subs, braces and ports my box ended up being just over 3 cu ft. 

Thanks for the help guys, I'm much happier with this setup.

Crappy pic but here it is.

20200419_151831.jpg

20200419_175633.jpg

Even though it’s a semi Skar set up, I like it. But please take that “steal me” sticker off your window lol! I know it looks cool and believe me, I want to tag my windows up like you see at car shows. But let’s be real, what do them stickers tell a thief? You already know. So it’s always best to stay under the radar. Sometimes the less people know, the better. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

18 hours ago, 1.21gigawatts said:

Even though it’s a semi Skar set up, I like it. But please take that “steal me” sticker off your window lol! I know it looks cool and believe me, I want to tag my windows up like you see at car shows. But let’s be real, what do them stickers tell a thief? You already know. So it’s always best to stay under the radar. Sometimes the less people know, the better. 

For real this kinda sucks because I have to cut my bass down drastically whenever I'm getting close to a parking spot for my car. 

Not many people like stealing.

But alot of people like stealing from that punk kid with loud bass

Archived