Newer iPods

Are any of the newer iPods/iPads good to use for Bluetooth to my head unit for decent SQ? Or should I get a digital music player instead?

Storage/ease of finding songs is slightly more important than SQ.

Or would it be better to do an iPad in dash and some sort of DAC to a processor?

I was thinking Pioneer 80PRS with an iPod touch...

1 hour ago, bmwking said:

you could do any size SSD directly connected via USB to that head unit, no need for an ipod

Wait really? A full blown SSD? I thought they only had compatibility with a Micro SD card or USB flash drive. That's sick

57 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Wait really? A full blown SSD? I thought they only had compatibility with a Micro SD card or USB flash drive. That's sick

I have a 320gb ssd in a external USB 3.0 case hooked to mine, reads really fast, and over half full of music and other half is videos and movies. 

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

7 hours ago, Timsmo0th said:

Are any of the newer iPods/iPads good to use for Bluetooth to my head unit for decent SQ? Or should I get a digital music player instead?

Storage/ease of finding songs is slightly more important than SQ.

Or would it be better to do an iPad in dash and some sort of DAC to a processor?

I was thinking Pioneer 80PRS with an iPod touch...

The 80prs is an awesome choice for a head unit and I know you probably want the iPad touch to have mounted because it looks pretty cool. Just plug it up through your usb. Some head units don’t play Bluetooth feed on the subwoofers because the fact that it’s used for talking on the phone and only needs mids and highs. My head unit is like that (Kenwood excelon kdc-x998). That’s why I use the usb. The rear usb should charge the iPad at the same time while playing music. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

1 hour ago, Joshdashef said:

yessir, i have a 240gb 2.5" ssd in a usb 3.0 case hooked to my pioneer avh-2300nex.  reads just fine and super fast like ehall says, basically only limited on speed by the usb 2.0 interface on the headunit and the headunit's software.  I was using an ipod classic, that was noticeably slow compared.  Then I modded my ipod to use microsd cards, that was quicker, but the whole ipod interface actually slows things down imo.  the ssd has been the quickest to read, but i seem to have lost the ability to backtrack, i can skip forward and skip back to he beginning of a song, but cant go back to one that i skipped.  i can live with that

On 4/11/2020 at 6:35 PM, Joshdashef said:

my 128 gig usb powered regular backup drive works through the usb in my factory mazda so it should work on a aftermarket one

The best sound quality over bluetooth is through devices that have the Aptx HD codec enabled. No apple devices support this standard. High resolution mp3 players support Aptx HD but they cost the same as a good smartphone. No head units advertise Aptx HD so they are a compromise to a lower standard. I use an LG V35 phone since LG is one of the few major makers to support the best standard. The v35 transmits to an Anker Soundsync a3341 bluetooth reciever that plugs into the aux in of my system. Using the aux in eliminates the problems involved with using the handsfree phone features. I tried several audio bluetooth recievers, including the one from JL Audio but the Anker provided the best sound. To be clear, both devices have to clearly state they support the Aptx HD standard.

9 hours ago, Bluetegjoe said:

The best sound quality over bluetooth is through devices that have the Aptx HD codec enabled. No apple devices support this standard. High resolution mp3 players support Aptx HD but they cost the same as a good smartphone. No head units advertise Aptx HD so they are a compromise to a lower standard. I use an LG V35 phone since LG is one of the few major makers to support the best standard. The v35 transmits to an Anker Soundsync a3341 bluetooth reciever that plugs into the aux in of my system. Using the aux in eliminates the problems involved with using the handsfree phone features. I tried several audio bluetooth recievers, including the one from JL Audio but the Anker provided the best sound. To be clear, both devices have to clearly state they support the Aptx HD standard.

Damn didn't think about that, most ppl r used to shitty recorded mo3 songs anyways, I try my best to use flac copies and lossless of any sort on my ssd but sometimes have to settle for a high bitrate MP3, didn't think about my headunit not being up to par, have an avh-600ex, gonna have to look up specs now tho. Have a 256gb micro SD and a high end phone so maybe that's better option.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Archived