The right amp for my subs p3d4-12

Simon Landry

Hi, I’m about to buy an amp for my subs but i don’t know if the one I’m looking for will be a good match.

My system : Kenwood excelon kmm-503 (5v rca output), amp - KAC 9106D on 4 gauge and a single p3d4-12 rockford fosgate wired at 2 ohm. Honda Fit 2008 with a 90 amp alternator.

i want to buy a second p3d4-12 and wired them at 1 ohm. So, I was interested by the rockford fosgate prime 1200.1D to replace my KAC 9106D. I’m on the stock electrical system, but I’m planning to do the big 3 on 1/0 gauge and wired the amp on 1/0 too, (even if it needs 4 gauge)

I’m wondering if i will have enough CLEAN power to max my p3. they can take 1200 rms and the prime will produce just enough power so there’s might be clipping since ill max its output. And do i need a HighOutput alternator to not starve the amp? Is this a good amp for my need. Do you have suggestion that can do a better job for my need? Thanks!

PS : I don’t want to put too much money if not needed to upgrade electrical system.

Get the newer model Rockford prime r2-1200. I’ll post a link. And you don’t need to upgrade your electrical system. Just do the big 3 upgrade but your headlights still might dim on lower notes. Possibly. If so, get a second battery. I’ll post a link for a good agm battery for cheap as well. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Yes. Any amp can put out rated rms with no distortion what so ever as long as it’s a good amp from a good company. Setting the gain is what’s the big thing. Turning the gain up doesn’t affect the rms even though it sounds louder. That louder sound is high notes being passed through with the bass creating a distortion that a lot of people thinks is hard hitting bass when all it is is dirty rattling bullshit. The gain just matches the head units rca output (pre outs) voltage to the amp or vise versa or whatever. Once you find the voltage match you are set and will never achieve better bass or more rms from that point. That amp has a distortion detector on it that says “clip”, which means clipping which means distortion. When you get you amp and subs turn the gain all the way down and turn your stereo 3/4s of the way up and hook your phone up to your radio via aux or usb and go to YouTube and play a 40hz test tone by sonicelectronix and go back to your amp and turn the gain up until you see that clip light flicker then turn back a little until it goes off and your gain is set. 

Order the amp from crutchfield. They are a good company that does everything well when it comes to running an online car audio company. I’ve had a few difficulties with sonicelectronix on returns and them not paying for the shipping labels and not refunding me the shipping I originally paid. Do I paid shipping twice to get a refund equaling the price of the item(s) and tax only. But crutchfield won’t do that sideways stuff to you. They are more dedicated to customer well being than sonicelectronix. 

On 4/11/2020 at 11:09 PM, 121gigawatts said:

Order the amp from crutchfield. They are a good company that does everything well when it comes to running an online car audio company. I’ve had a few difficulties with sonicelectronix on returns and them not paying for the shipping labels and not refunding me the shipping I originally paid. Do I paid shipping twice to get a refund equaling the price of the item(s) and tax only. But crutchfield won’t do that sideways stuff to you. They are more dedicated to customer well being than sonicelectronix. 

100% Crutchfield has the most legit system for getting install gear if you are just starting this, great customer service and returns. They often throw in free bonus install gear if you say buy a radio with them and stuff. I also like 3rd party online stores like Sky high car audio. To each their own

Make sure it’s not the old R version prime amp and it’s the NEW R2 version. Because the R2 has the distortion detector built in and the old R version doesn’t.  Sky high car audio is a great place to order from too. I haven’t tried droppin hz yet though. 

Archived