Second Skin Audio

What would be a good design for maximum low tuned box for 6x9 coaxial speakers?

I have some cheap 6x9 coaxial speakers (Scosche brand with plastic cone and foam surround and 4-way coaxial setup) I want to use in a home system but I want to find some available boxes or at least get a general idea of what box I should look for. that give good low deep bass and smooth sound with no boomyness or reverberation.

I was thinking an unusually large sealed enclosure. like a box meant for 12's with some 6x9 cutout boards glued over top of it so they can really move with little power. and still have great deep smooth bass

I have no space limitations. aside from being unneccessarily large and unrealistically large. like the size of a fridge or something

tuned to at least 40hz or lower if ported enclosure. no higher than 42hz. since the speakers FS is roughly around 35hz to 45hz

since i'm not running tons of power to them. I dont need the speakers loaded down while in the box. enough room for them to breathe and move as much as almost being free air is fine. they are rated for 70 watts RMS but i'm not putting more than 10 volts RMS on them because I can feel the heat radiating from the coils at that level if I put my nose near them. it smells like a hot metal surface but doesnt smell like its cooking or burning.

if I go any higher they would start to smell bad so I can't put a ton of power to them.

The frequency response is actually pretty good for being so cheap 20$ pair of 6x9 speakers. only tapering off slightly beyond 10khz which I could fix easily with an equalizer or with some cheap tweeters I have. using a resistor and capacitor to tune them to be balanced. Maybe placing the tweeters just above and outwards from the speakers to enhance the soundstage and stereo sound.

It doesn’t matter what size enclosure you put coaxial drivers in, even if they do have an enclosure, they will sound about the same no matter what. The only way to change the sound of a midrange or coaxial is to get (a) different driver(s). That’s the only way. I can post a link for some 6x9 enclosures. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-jFPcZctd7Ve/shopsearch/6x9_speaker_enclosure.html

the first selection are .17 cubic feet a piece and the second selection are .29 cubic feet a piece. There will be very minimal sound difference. They could have a 3 cubic foot 6x9 enclosure they will still have minimal sound difference. That’s a midrange drive with tweeters on top of it. Thus mids and highs. There will be no way to achieve low end without adding a subwoofer and that you can put in it’s on enclosure. 

Ive had them in a 0.29 cu box and they sound absolutely dull with zero low end at all. and they barely move 2 or 3 millimeters at the most.

I get better bass response just having them free air standing up facing me sideways on a metal bracket. but then they sound a little muddy when they are moving a lot from bass

so I need a compromise between free air and in a big sealed box. so they still move plenty but dont sound muddy. just the right amount of backpressure on the drivers to keep them sounding clean and still have good low end response

10 minutes ago, realflow100 said:

Ive had them in a 0.27 cu box and they sound absolutely dull with zero low end at all. and they barely move 2 or 3 millimeters at the most.

I get better bass response just having them free air standing up facing me sideways on a metal bracket. but then they sound a little muddy when they are moving a lot from bass

so I need a compromise between free air and in a big sealed box. so they still move plenty but dont sound muddy. just the right amount of backpressure on the drivers to keep them sounding clean and still have good low end response

Then drill 1” holes in them enclosures, 1 or 2 in each enclosure. Make sure you drill the same amount of holes in each enclosure to keep the same frequency load on each speaker. And drilling holes would make the enclosures somewhat ported and take away from the control of the speaker and it will sound a little deeper but those being crappy speakers it will not sound crisp but you would achieve the closest to low end possible that you’re looking for. I forgot about that. My bad. Lol! Problem solved. That’s the cheapest way but to achieve a better sounding outcome then buy 2 of these 2” aero ports and put one in each enclosure. 

But most likely you want to make the cheapest decision, so just drill 1 or 2 holes in each enclosure. Start with one and see how that sounds and go from there. But if you wanna invest like $25 and achieve better sound then go the aero port route  

You don't just drill random holes in a speaker box. Whether for 18s or 3.5" coaxs.

There still is optimum specs for thier box.

And you can get deep from 6x9s. Usually the best sounds cone from ib setups. So going to a large box would be ideal.

I think a sealed box for subs with a 6x9 baffle plate will be best bet

Archived