Hi,

I figured I would come here to see if I can get some help. I have a 496 BBC Gen V in my 1969 Camaro. I currently have a mechman 7127240 alt in it and have had nothing but problems with it. It is a single wire alternator. For some reason I've gone through 2 of these mechman alts, the first one did not charge my battery at all so it was DOA. Now the second one just randomly stops charging and the only way to get it to work again is if I disconnect everything from my battery for about 5 min then it will work again for a couple of days. I'm trying to ask mechman for help but they haven't gotten back to me. A couple people have told me that I may be hooking it up wrong but how can I be hooking up a single wire alt wrong... Also, my old 60 amp alt still works perfectly have only had problems with this mechman, wish I got a US alternator or something. 

How are you determining charging or not charging?

• 1 month later...

Where does your ground go from the battery? Does the motor have a good block to frame/body ground? As well as a ground wire running from the alternator bracket to the battery?

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Archived