Second Skin Audio

Son of a...

Ipoksmote

Just got my brand new 18" yesterday.

Didnt really do any dedicated breaking in.. but it was extremely extremly stiff. 

I went easy but today I had to turn it up some.

I'm waiting on my h.o alt in the mail, so right now I just have stock alt + big4. (System is 2k rms)

Anyways, when i turn the volume to 75% or more my subwoofer makes this sharp knocking noise like its bottoming out or something.

I've noticed it happens when I seem to cross the output capability of my alternator  because my lights dim when it happens..

So I figure it's either....

A bad ground.

OR

some result of clipping due to not having enough power.

OR

due to me not breaking in the subwoofer

Any ideas? I dont think it's my box...I'm almost certain its not my box.

Edit...so you know how I said its not my box.

Its 100% my box. I just got it built and the thing has cracks all over, and has a massive air leak and I'm almost positive that's causing the wood clanking sound I'm hearing..

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What amp? I'd aim at the amp clipping due to voltage drop, especially if you are wired low.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Okay though there is deffinetly something wrong with the sub.

I've got everything hooked up right, I'm not dropping volts or anything yet the sub makes a very distinct loud punchy noise during certain notes. It really sounds like its blown or something. Some of the paint even chipped off around the dust cap.

what does a high-output alternator do differently than a regular alternator cuz they both put out the same voltage at Max charge 14.4 to 14.8

I like how a lot of people have to stop the electrical and they run 2k, 3k a etc, and because they don't see any voltage drop that significant they think their electrical is okay.

Amperage your amp is not getting the amperage it needs to make the tower it's wattage it is supposed to. Voltage has little to do with this situation yes it's good that your voltage is in the good range but that doesn't mean your amperage is good

Archived