Alternator Belt Recommedation?

I am looking for a  good belt for a H/O alternator, I have a Singer Alt with belt slip, I used a smaller belt but still have belt slip. I drive a 98 Jeep TJ with the 4.0 5 Speed. 

This is the first time I am doing a H/O alt replacement so I am unsure of how this works, I had my mechanic change out my stock alternator with my Singer and I had belt slip with a smaller belt with the Singer pulley. I since then had my mechanic put the old pulley that was on my stock alternator on my Singer one along with my stock belt. Tomorrow I plan to change it out with help of a friend.

I have don't know of any brands that are good for belts for this type of application besides just needing a smaller belt.

Also, I can't seem to get in contact with Singer his email does not seem to work anymore. I get an return email error, does anyone know whats going on with Mike?

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

First off, what size is your stock belt? What is the diameter of the stock pulley? What is the diameter of the singer pulley? And what size smaller belt did you buy? And how many ribs does the stock belt have and the smaller belt have? And is the width of the belts the same? Make sure you answer all these questions so I can correctly help you. And putting a bigger pulley on a high output alternator takes away from its performance due to the reason behind having a smaller pulley is more rotations for more output, thus high output. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

I can't answer all of your questions accurately. I had my vehicle at my mechanic to swap my alternator and do maintenance. What I can tell you is that the belt was 6 rib for both stock and for the Singer.

All I know is that I went from a totally stock 98 TJ 4.0 alternator to a 275A H/O Singer Alt.

If this helps, this is a quote from Mike.

The power curve of the alternator really will barely idle with your stock pulley so i would image performance is sub par with it for you overall especially at low rpm like city driving etc. 
For the belt ideally the best brand is usually gates or at least dayco

use this guide to enter the stock belt size in effective length (and # of ribs will be 6) 
http://www.daycoproducts.com/online-catalog-1?part_type=20 

This guide we use to locate dayco part #s or X reference them to other brands like gates to see what is avail. around a half inch to 3/4" shorter (this is typically ideal for eliminating the slippage)

As far as specs on the alt go here is the curve #s i test the rotor speed at for a 3.5 - 1 ratio (so on your vehicle with would be if you using the overdrive pulley originally supplied with it)

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

That sounds right. He did the measurements. Your mechanic may have made a mistake. And does your vehicle have overdrive, thus using an overdrive pulley? 
NOTE: Most stock alternator diameters are 2.5”-3” and most h/o alternators diameter is 2”. So 0.5”-1” smaller is correct. But in some cases the belt has to be an 1.5”-2” smaller due to more belt wrap on the pulley so instead of negating the diameter you have to negate the circumference. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

What exactly is overdrive? Sorry I don't really know anything about cars.

What I can tell you is that my vehicle is a 5 speed manual with a 5th gear, I know that some 5 speeds of vehicles consider this an overdrive gear I think.

Mike made the alternator with the fact that my TJ was a manual transmission in mind for the lower rpms at idle.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

If you have a smaller pulley on ur alt then just get a factory belt that's 1/2 to 3/4" shorter then stock.

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

13 hours ago, 1.21gigawatts said:

First off, what size is your stock belt? What is the diameter of the stock pulley? What is the diameter of the singer pulley? And what size smaller belt did you buy? And how many ribs does the stock belt have and the smaller belt have? And is the width of the belts the same? Make sure you answer all these questions so I can correctly help you. And putting a bigger pulley on a high output alternator takes away from its performance due to the reason behind having a smaller pulley is more rotations for more output, thus high output. 

They will have the same number of ribs or more on the alt pulley. 

Here are the pictures that I could get of my alternator system. I am not sure if this would help.

IMG_20200416_123301.jpg

IMG_20200416_123307.jpg

IMG_20200416_123310.jpg

IMG_20200416_123319.jpg

IMG_20200416_123343.jpg

IMG_20200416_123355.jpg

IMG_20200416_123406.jpg