JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s not that much belt wrap on that alternator. Put the pulley that came with that alternator back on and get a belt that 1/2” smaller than the sock belt. Go to another mechanic. Your mechanic might be getting high during the rough times and making errors lol!

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

If you can find a belt 3/4” smaller then go with that but if you can’t then a belt 1/2” smaller will work just fine because if there’s any slack that can cause slip, the tensioner will make up for the slack. Make sure you understand the difference between effective length and outer circumference. If you can, it’s best to go by effective length. Some belts only have outer circumference size listed. So figure out both lengths on your stock belt and go from there. 

Looking at autozone I found that the stock serpentine belt for my vehicle with A/C is 91" so with 3/4" less I would need 90.25" I am not sure if they make a belt that size or where I would begin looking. Could someone throw out a brand that I could rely on?

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

go to rockauto.com look up the factory belt for your car see how many millimeters long it is then go to your local auto parts store like O'Reilly's and ask for a belt that's 12-18mm shorter.

this is what I did in the kit O'Reilly's grab me every option that was under my belt size brought them to the front counter and I was able to look and see which one I wanted buy a Gates belt

On 4/16/2020 at 9:27 PM, CommonSyns said:

Looking at autozone I found that the stock serpentine belt for my vehicle with A/C is 91" so with 3/4" less I would need 90.25" I am not sure if they make a belt that size or where I would begin looking. Could someone throw out a brand that I could rely on?

If you can’t find an effective length 3/4” smaller then go 1/2” smaller or somewhere in between. It’s ok. I kept calling different auto parts stores and told them I needed a belt within x” and x” until I found what I needed. Try to get as close to the 1/2”-3/4” difference that you can. The tensioner in your pulley system will make up for a little slack if there’s any. 

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting a 1/2 smaller effective length belt. Need to wait for my friend to bring back my alternator to reinstall it, long story. I hope the belt works. Not sure what to do if it does not.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Besides my belt, tomorrow I plan to reinstall my alternator with my new belt. I plan do do the big 3, the thing is that I have no idea what to do, I'm not replacing wires right? I am just adding wires on to the existing wires, I have a Sky High big three kit for this. 

What's still good voltage for an amp? My voltage with an XS d3400 and 275 singer alt the voltage still drops to 13.5, this happen while driving or idling. This is in a 98 TJ 5 speed. 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Archived