Second Skin Audio

Lacking Subwoofer Performance at Low Volume

Nojoah

Hey there,

New to the site and somewhat new to audio as well. I recently installed a 10" Kenwood slim sub in a sealed box into my crew cab F350 as well as a matching Kenwood 300rms amp. (Has been 3 weeks now so sub should be broken in) The sub sounds great at high volume but really is almost not present at mid-low volume. For comparison the factory sub in my dad's premium ford system sounds far better. the EQ is all at the base settings apart from the subwoofer volume which from my understanding should be set to full when setting the gain on the sub amp. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should tweak to improve this mid-low performance or is this simply how a single 10" should sound in a crew cab truck. If anyone has any input please let me know.

Side note - Sub is mounted tightly behind the rear seat but not touching. Recommended air space is 0.6 cu.ft. Was only able to make the box 0.48 cu.ft but I also stuffed it with the proper amount of poly fill to account for this.

Because it’s a small subwoofer in a small sealed enclosure on minimal rms. Only way for it to get loud is at high volume. And I know from experience that Kenwood amps aren’t that good. I had a 500 rms Kenwood amp that wasn’t even as loud as this 250 rms Memphis amp I have. I would never use a Kenwood amp. The amps suck, the subwoofers aren’t that bad and the head units are phenomenal! Get a ported enclosure. They make slim ported enclosures at least and if you can, get a different amp. Like a Memphis srx 250. The amp is the main problem and the next problem is the enclosure. Let me post some links to get you right. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Memphis-SRX250-1-250-Watt-Mono-Amp/124157761175?hash=item1ce8611697:g:7MkAAOSwbAhemlET

this person is a good seller, check his ratings and see. And just because this amp is a 250 watt amp and the one you have says it 50 watts more doesn’t mean it’s true. That 250 watt Memphis amp is would put out more than that kenwood amp you have, way more surprisingly. 

I’ve been thinking though. There might be another culprit other than the amp not being that good. But I’m almost sure it’s because it’s a small kenwood amp and it’s a small enclosure with no port and a small subwoofer is the reason your not getting much output until high volume (My kenwood amp almost the same thing didn’t start pumping the subwoofers until I turn the volume up high and the gains and filter were set accordingly). But maybe, just maybe, your frequency filters are probably set wrong. Maybe your gain too. Take a legible picture of the setting knobs if you amp and tell me exactly what kind of head unit you have and I’ll be able to find the culprit of your problem. 

Make sure you tell me exactly what make and model head unit you have and post pictures of the settings of the gains and filters because that could be the problem and a simple tuning might fix your problem a little. Not all the way, because of what kind of Audi gear it is, but enough to put out better subwoofer performance. 

14 hours ago, Nojoah said:

Hey there,

New to the site and somewhat new to audio as well. I recently installed a 10" Kenwood slim sub in a sealed box into my crew cab F350 as well as a matching Kenwood 300rms amp. (Has been 3 weeks now so sub should be broken in) The sub sounds great at high volume but really is almost not present at mid-low volume. For comparison the factory sub in my dad's premium ford system sounds far better. the EQ is all at the base settings apart from the subwoofer volume which from my understanding should be set to full when setting the gain on the sub amp. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should tweak to improve this mid-low performance or is this simply how a single 10" should sound in a crew cab truck. If anyone has any input please let me know.

Side note - Sub is mounted tightly behind the rear seat but not touching. Recommended air space is 0.6 cu.ft. Was only able to make the box 0.48 cu.ft but I also stuffed it with the proper amount of poly fill to account for this.

I had this same problem a couple months ago. I bought an Alpine Type S 10" and built a box to go under the rear seat of my Ridgeline. I built it to the space under the seat rather than the specs of the sub. I ended up with a volume of 0.458, and the Alpine specified at least 0.5. I had an old Sony 200 watt amp that I used in my Explorer years ago. I just didn't think it sounded very good, especially at low volume. I finally got tired of it and bought a Rockford Prime 500 watt mono amp, which I was going to do at some point any way. It made a world of difference.

I agree with others; you may need more power.

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I do actually have an alpine MRP-M450 that I could also test instead of the Kenwood But at 4 ohm its still only producing 220 rms. If you think it'll help to swap the amps I could switch them over. I'll work on getting a picture for you later today of the gain and crossover. When purchasing the gear I figured that the matching kenwood excelon sub and excelon amp would sound quite good together.

Side note - I also have an older 10" eclipse sub (not a shallow mount) in a larger sealed box that I could potentially put in front of the back seat if it would make a big difference. Although, takes away a decent amount of space in the back.

Archived