You guys think there’s room for another internet car audio shop?

I’ve been thinking about something and wanted to ask y’all’s opinion, do you guys think there’s room for another bass head focused internet car audio store? I recently came into some money, nothing huge, probably less than some of yalls monthly salary but to me it’s a lot (no it’s not my stimulus check 😂), and I was thinking about following my dream of starting a stereo shop. In my area I don’t think there are enough car audio heads to support another profitable brick and mortar store which is why I plan to focus online and maybe eventually have funding for a small physical shop.

For right now I only really have funds to get a storefront started and buy a bunch of my own branded wire from alibaba for making amp kits and whatnot, plus I have access to a machine shop and a couple general manufacturing shops to make fuse holders and random stuff like that, other than that I’d rely on a drop shipping company for most of my stock at the start. But yeah, I just wanted to ask your guys opinions, do you think somebody else could make money starting a shop in the vein of D4S/SHCA/WCCA and those types of bass head focused shops or is the industry pretty much full? Do you already have a shop you go to above all else that you wouldn’t be willing to switch away from even if all things were roughly equal or better? I’m doing other industry research as well but figured this would be a great place to ask the general audio public, hopin I get some kinda response! Thanks guys.

TL\DR version: do you think somebody could make money starting an online stereo shop today or is the industry already saturated in your opinion?

Just my thought and I love car audio but I think about 1% make a living doing this  and make good money, so many people do everything themselves like building boxes running wire and installs , if your in it to sell products take some advice from JP ( Down for Sound ) he has it figured out.  I’m a Master Technician now and can’t believe what they pay me but I owe it all to Car Audio that’s where it started, Installing  systems and fixing small problems when I was 16 and shit just kept going. I tell my wife when she bitches about what I spend on Audio that it’s because of this we are living comfortably. I owe everything to Audio I’m a guy who barely graduated high school but loved cars. I would never make it in college.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

I feel like if you provide quality products... if that's quality brands and/ or quality machined parts and what not.... customer service so good people voluntarily tell other people about they're awesome experience, and your own schtick, it could work. Ron36 is right though, not too many can make a living at it. It's one of those things like being a musician, or a professional athlete, it's not a 9 to 5 type deal, you have to live this shit. 24-7. Constant education, constant moves being made, constant blasting social media, YouTube videos, this that and the other thing. Yeah, right now there's the big 4 I guess, shca, d4s, gp, wcca.... but there's also dominoes, little Caesars, round table, mountain Mike's, papa John's, and I'm sure others I can't think of right now. There's always room for better, or cheaper, or different, or a combination of those things. Nothing that was worth it was ever easy. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. And you've got to want it more than anything. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

The only way to be cheaper is to buy in bulk and I mean bulk. 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

5 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

The only way to be cheaper is to buy in bulk and I mean bulk. 

I didn't mean you absolutely had to be cheaper, I was just using that as an example, like little Caesars pizza it's cheap, not very good pizza, but they make tons of money. There's many different ways to make it, you just have to figure out which ways you can do successfully.

6 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I didn't mean you absolutely had to be cheaper, I was just using that as an example, like little Caesars pizza it's cheap, not very good pizza, but they make tons of money. There's many different ways to make it, you just have to figure out which ways you can do successfully.

But quality makes people comeback, I get what your saying it’s a tough game , U can sell a ton of garbage like Hifonics and pretty much waste peoples money or have them buy equipment that handles more then rated power but  costs more. Wish I had the balls to do it. 

1 hour ago, Ron36 said:

But quality makes people comeback, I get what your saying it’s a tough game , U can sell a ton of garbage like Hifonics and pretty much waste peoples money or have them buy equipment that handles more then rated power but  costs more. Wish I had the balls to do it. 

I've thought about it a million times too. I would love to open a high end install shop and just build and sell car audio for a living. I don't have the guts. So I keep going to my job digging ditches lol. But that's what I'm saying, if you can't be cheap, you've got to be great at other things. I understand, people who go to their closest brick and mortar shop to get something installed, maybe 8 times out of 10 are blown away by how expensive quality is. So they buy the hyphonics. But the people who order online, are usually looking for quality because they have the knowledge to usually be installing it themselves. If you want to make out in that game, you've gotta be great at something else, be it customer service and knowledge, or dope, pre made boxes, or something different that no other online shop has, or machined products that offer something more (what more could they offer, I don't know or I'd be making them lol) or something I'm not thinking of at the moment. It's tough. You've really gotta love it, live it, and be on top of it 24-7

Alot of it is building a brand. Showing people your stuff is better than the competition or at least on par and cheaper. Wether thats thru fb, youtube, going to shows with your product or building your own demo beast to parade around or any or all of these. You wont sell much until your name is out there and that takes alot of time and money. Most the big dogs started off small but it takes years to grow to where they r now.

Also just my opinion but i love lil caesars pizza.

There’s a tuff median In Audio ,now that I’m older I really don’t look at price anymore I buy the stuff I know will make me happy and take abuse but 90% of these guys are young and just wanna be loud till it blows. Great topic I think a lot of guys on this site would love to make a living doing this but it’s just not fees able.

Archived