Sundown Audio

Amp selection

Mattybigbass

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if you beff up your wiring your amps won’t cut out , what line of Skar are they. Are your subs dual 2ohm or dual 4ohm subs

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

1 hour ago, Mattybigbass said:

Hey new to the form anyone have a good amp choice to pair with my two 18 evls I have two 1500 watt skar amps but they cut out at high volume thanks

Hey thanks for the reply there evl series subs two 18 running at 1 ohm the amps are the SKAR AUDIO RP-1500.1D 2300 WATT MAX POWER CLASS D MONO SUB AMPLIFIER I ran the wires they told me would be good that's why I'm alittle confused they recomended all this stuff I know stereo stuff to a point but it comes to figuring out what amp will pound what sub ext I'm lost so I went with all their recommendations I thought the wire was to small I even asked about the 0 guage kit a d buddy said it would be over kill I didn't think that was possible with running wire unless you have a tiny system 

1 hour ago, Mattybigbass said:

Hey new to the form anyone have a good amp choice to pair with my two 18 evls I have two 1500 watt skar amps but they cut out at high volume thank

Yea sorry the subs are 18 inch skar audio dual voice coil 2 ohm wired to 1 ohm 

What’s your voltage dropping to , running 2 sub amps takes a lot of current and if your voltage is dropping in the 12s or under your amps will shutdown . U better have at least a couple batteries if U don’t have a HO Alternator. 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

My alternator is stock and I'm only running one batter never checked my voltage I'm waiting for a volt meter so I should maby run another battery or two you think ? Or just a better alternator this is my first big system I've had 15s and 12s like cheep ones that o my need a.small.amp to push them I've spent the last two years working on this car and I wanted a really nice system 

Your amps are prob just fine and upgrading them will not solve your issue.

You were correct in assuming that the 0 gauge was not overkill, matter of fact, I would think that a single run of 0 gauge is the minimum needed.

3000 watts rms is going to absolutely need an upgraded alternator and at least 1 run of 0 gauge wiring. Couple that with the big 3 and you will just be on the edge of "maybe". I'd see where your voltage drops too after those upgrades, but you may need a bit more, like an extra run of wire and a good sized battery / cap bank in the rear.

People often tend to overlook perhaps the most important part of any decently sized aftermarket subwoofer install with any real amount of power and that is that the elec. system NEEDS to be upgraded along with it.

Thanks I appreashate all the help like I said this is my first some.whay serious system I never though that it would draw that much power any recommendation on what type of alternator or were to go or is that just a normal auto store amp but higher volts and you said a cap bank do you mean a capacitor ? Or another battery 

I called a stereo shop out here a d they were like thoes amps are trash we have two amps that will work with that system they wanted 2400 dollars for two amps lol and then I started thinking my amps were no good so I decided to find a form to ask unbiased people 

Unfortunately a local parts store is not going to carry what you are looking for. There are specialty shops that make their won high output alternators specifically for aftermarket accessories and stereo upgrades. Look into Mechman, CES, Brand X and Singer just to name a few. I personally run a little less power than you and got a CES 320 amp alternator for a great price, but reach out to them all and compare. Spend the time to talk to them on the phone, let them know what you are running and what your goals are.

Be prepared though, elec. system upgrades are not going to be cheap, but they are absolutely necessary. The alt is going to be your single greatest upgrade in this department, do not skip this. Then you are going to need a way to get all that power to the hungry amps, and that means big wire = 0 gauge.

Google big 3 upgrade and start learning... it's a great hobby, but like most others, there is a lot too it.

Buy yourself a good bit of 0 gauge wire, not a kit. Always get a bit more than you think you are going to need because it seems to go fast. Use it for the big 3 upgrade and at least 1 run to the rear for the amps. Install the new alt and then see where you sit. Be prepared to upgrade a bit more though. 3000 watts requires a decent amount of power. You are now in the big boy league and it's going to cost a little, but most of us here think it's completely worth it!

Archived