Sundown Audio

Amp selection

Mattybigbass

12 minutes ago, Mattybigbass said:

I called a stereo shop out here a d they were like thoes amps are trash we have two amps that will work with that system they wanted 2400 dollars for two amps lol and then I started thinking my amps were no good so I decided to find a form to ask unbiased people 

Grab a multimeter and take a reading at the amp terminals while you are at full tilt... if you are dropping to 12.0v or under, you are starving your amps and do not have enough elec. support to feed them, that's where you should start

Yes, there are better amps out there, but just like everything else, better is not always the answer.

You have a problem,  fix the problem first, then worry about upgrading your gear, once you get what you already have operating correctly.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100 percent I don't mind spending the money I want hard hitting bass that's why I got two 18s and mind you there in the back of a mustang lol 🤪 and when you say one run of 0 guage to the amps you mean from the battery rite not from the big three rite it's funny I actually just watched EXOS big three upgrade a few hours ago and was gonna do it tonight but I might as well wait till I get my bigger wire, so anything that's 4 guage now up grade to 0 rite and do the big three is 0 

At your power level, I would def go with the 0 gauge for everything. I ran 4 gauge for my big 3 and ended up upgrading to 0 and gained a decent amount of voltage at the amp.

Yes, when I say 1 run, I'm referring to the battery positive under the hood, to the amps in the back. If you can fit it, I would prob suggest that you go ahead and do 2 runs now since everything is already going to be apart. But 0 gauge is big and can be a pain to snake around. Take your time and you will be happy once it's done. 

Also, cap bank = capacitor, but not like a old 1 farad or 3 farad ones, true cap banks are hundreds of farads of capacity. Look at XS Power cap banks to get an idea of what I'm referring too. I personally run 2 big AGM batteries and they do the job fine for me @ ~2500 watts rms

Ok awesome thanks I was.gonna try a s sneek another battery in some where.but space is limited in the mustang I was thinking of shortening up my air intake and putting another battery on the other side for extra juice I'm half luck if you looked at my pics my amps are on the back of my back.seats which is pretty close to the battery so i won't need a fudge load of 0 guage and I'm gonna run the two runs one for each amp might as well 

Anytime!

Don't forget that alt! You're only going to see minimal increase without it, it really is the heart of the entire electrical system.

Try to take a reading with the setup you have now at the amp terminals with the multimeter, at full tilt, then do all the wiring upgrades and take another reading, you will probably only see a minimal increase. Then upgrade the battery under the hood to an AGM, something nice and beefy (biggest one you can fit, get inventive) and grab the high output alternator to see some real gains. You will be amazed!

1 hour ago, Mattybigbass said:

Ok awesome thanks I was.gonna try a s sneek another battery in some where.but space is limited in the mustang I was thinking of shortening up my air intake and putting another battery on the other side for extra juice I'm half luck if you looked at my pics my amps are on the back of my back.seats which is pretty close to the battery so i won't need a fudge load of 0 guage and I'm gonna run the two runs one for each amp might as well 

I'm running a little over 3000 watts to my subs. When I first got it put in, my amps did the same thing on 2 of the biggest AGM  group 34 batteries I could find and a rebuilt alternator. I forget how many amps the rebuilt alternator was putting out. Once I upgraded that alternator to a legit, high output alternator. The difference is night and day. If I could put my 2 cents in, I would definitely get 2 batteries, and nothing under a 300 amp alternator. More if you can. And if you get the biggest one you can afford, I'd you ever decide to upgrade from your system now, that's one less thing you've got to worry about

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Yea it's nuts how much power it needs my biggest thing is space the box litterly takes up every Ince of my trunk I was gonna use the back seats but my kids wanna go in the mustang lol I can't say no to that but I'm looking for a.bigger alternator 220 is the biggest I can find for my car and I'm ordering some 0 gauge wire 

Archived