Sundown Audio

Amp selection

Mattybigbass

Call a couple of the alt companies and ask them if they can make a higher amperage alternator for your car. IMO a 270 would be minimum, but I'd go with a 320 amp if available. Again, give them all a call and just see what they say, then go with the company that provides you the best service for the best price.

Also look at the Northstar SMSAGM220 or SMSAGM480. I was going to go with one of these due to the tall and narrow design as space is very limited in my vehicle as well. Maybe you can squeeze one of these in beside the box or being the rear seats as they are quite narrow and provide great power. Search for other options that better fit your needs. You can DIY your own cap bank in all sorts of shapes, but educate yourself to the hilt before jumping into the cap bank.

Even after you replace the battery under the hood with something beefy, you will more than likely need some sort of secondary supplemental power capacity in the rear.

Something to note regarding HO alts. If you got a 4 cylinder I would not go higher than 320 (most good companies under rated thier alts, 320s usually kick out around 340-350 at 2250rpm) as it will busy you in the mouth regarding gas's mileage and wear and tear on engine

The magnetic field your car has to turn that stator in is tough at 350 amps and up. Even 259 amps isn't a walk in the park.

Archived