battery voltage issues

Hold up. I woke up earlier and was like there’s no way a cell in that battery went bad. I was trippin dude. It’s just discharged. If a cell went bad then when the car and alternator were on then it would read like 11 or 12 volts because a cell is about 2 and a half volts. #BrainFart

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

4 hours ago, tomlintm said:

well all my wires are ofc but the one ground in the rear battery connecting it to the frame is cca would that be my problem

Not likely. But I’d switch it out with ofc anyways. When a battery is grounded poorly it discharges a lot quicker. You just need to charge your rear battery. There’s no way around it. Keeping batteries charged is very important and when you have a system that has a secondary battery or more you need to buy the correct battery charger too. 

20 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Not likely. But I’d switch it out with ofc anyways. When a battery is grounded poorly it discharges a lot quicker. You just need to charge your rear battery. There’s no way around it. Keeping batteries charged is very important and when you have a system that has a secondary battery or more you need to buy the correct battery charger too. 

ya i want to replace that ground aih ofc once i come up with money and if i let the battery charge with just the alt how long should i drive for that rear battery is completly charged

23 minutes ago, tomlintm said:

ya i want to replace that ground aih ofc once i come up with money and if i let the battery charge with just the alt how long should i drive for that rear battery is completly charged

Alternators do charge batteries but alternators are designed to maintain a battery and the vehicles electrical system, not recharge a badly discharged battery. There’s no way around it. You have to get a battery charger. You can find a cheap one for less than $50. 

20 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Alternators do charge batteries but alternators are designed to maintain a battery and the vehicles electrical system, not recharge a badly discharged battery. There’s no way around it. You have to get a battery charger. You can find a cheap one for less than $50. 

well damn maybe i can see if someone has a battery charger around me bc i barlly have money for gas bc of the crisis right now

2 hours ago, tomlintm said:

Everything in the car being ofc except for the ground, that being CCA can definitely cause the issue you're dealing with.

If one of our members here is pounding the bad ground drum, then says that the single CCA run for ground is likely NOT  the issue, makes no sense. 

A bad ground adds resistance. Which would cause the voltage differences.

Using smaller wire for the ground path is a less than ideal situation. Yes 1/0 CCA compared to 1/0 ofc is indeed the same as using a smaller ofc ground.

The current capability of the ground is less than the supply. Add in the fact it's aluminum and dis-similar metal also adds to resistance.

Replace it and I  bet you will be even with the front

22 minutes ago, AaronT said:

Everything in the car being ofc except for the ground, that being CCA can definitely cause the issue you're dealing with.

If one of our members here is pounding the bad ground drum, then says that the single CCA run for ground is likely NOT  the issue, makes no sense. 

Using smaller wire for the ground path is a less than ideal situation. Yes 1/0 CCA compared to 1/0 ofc is indeed the same as using a smaller ofc ground.

The current capability of the ground is less than the supply. Add in the fact it's aluminum and dis-similar metal also adds to resistance.

all of my wires are 1/0 ofc and that cca ground is also 1/0 thats in the rear so even so the wires does need to be replaced or the voltage wont get any better currect

2 hours ago, AaronT said:

I was thinking the same thing but then I remembered a factory battery ground is about 8 gauge and people are running 4 gauge or 0 gauge wire and systems on stock electrical just fine. So a cca ground wire is not the culprit. A 0 gauge cca wire still supports more amps than an 8 gauge ofc, it’s about equivalent to a 4 gauge ofc, maybe a little more, and a 4 gauge cca is about the same as an 8 gauge ofc. It being grounded poorly to start with was the problem. I told him he needs to change that wire with ofc anyways. 

1 hour ago, AaronT said:

He had a bad/weak ground to start with and it discharged the piss out of his battery. That was the culprit. I told him to change that cca wire. Its best. But it won’t fix the problem. His battery needs to be charged. That’s the problem and it stemmed from a weak ground he had before he changed the grounding point. 

Archived